Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Closing the barn door
Closing the barn door
A couple of weeks ago, my Ebay account was hacked. I recovered the money through my bank. I buy a lot of stuff on Ebay, it's a hobby. 
I have taken steps: 

I've had a look at my security: 

(1) Already have a VPN, but it was not running at the time.

(2) Reset Ebay password and added two tier verification.

(3) Next is to reset Google passwords with two tier authentication. Thinking of switching to Firefox or Edge, with same security

(4) Thinking of getting paid antivirus .

Be most interested in opinions about browsers. Also opinions on antivirus software, free and paid. I'm currently running AVIRA free. Windows 10
RE: Closing the barn door
I have been using Eset anti virus software for years and never had a problem. You can "set and forget" and it will work well, or dive into the settings and tweak it to your requirements.
Without looking it up I can't remember the cost, but a two year licence is around £2 a week I think. (I spend far more than that on coffee/)
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(October 19, 2021 at 12:38 am)Oldandeasilyconfused Wrote: A couple of weeks ago, my Ebay account was hacked. I recovered the money through my bank. I buy a lot of stuff on Ebay, it's a hobby. 
I have taken steps: 

(3) Next is to reset Google passwords with two tier authentication. Thinking of switching to Firefox or Edge, with same security

Be most interested in opinions about browsers. Also opinions on antivirus software, free and paid. I'm currently running AVIRA free. Windows 10

This is why I never do anything financial on line. Sorry you had to go through that. Certainly had to be a pain in the ass to correct.
(October 19, 2021 at 7:59 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(October 19, 2021 at 12:38 am)Oldandeasilyconfused Wrote: A couple of weeks ago, my Ebay account was hacked. I recovered the money through my bank. I buy a lot of stuff on Ebay, it's a hobby. 
I have taken steps: 

This is why I never do anything financial on line. Sorry you had to go through that. Certainly had to be a pain in the ass to correct.

You DO financial stuff online. We’ve been over this.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I just checked, fly is closed, stallion restrained.

Um........ at my age it's more like nag than stallion.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(October 19, 2021 at 3:28 am)zebo-the-fat Wrote: I have been using Eset anti virus software for years and never had a problem. You can "set and forget" and it will work well, or dive into the settings and tweak it to your requirements.
Without looking it up I can't remember the cost, but a two year licence is around £2 a week I think. (I spend far more than that on coffee/)

Eset is my favorite.  Works very well and is not intrusive.
(October 19, 2021 at 9:08 am)Ranjr Wrote:
(October 19, 2021 at 3:28 am)zebo-the-fat Wrote: I have been using Eset anti virus software for years and never had a problem. You can "set and forget" and it will work well, or dive into the settings and tweak it to your requirements.

Eset is my favorite.  Works very well and is not intrusive.

Update:-
a quick check, it is £40 / year so less than £1 per week... a bargain, automatic updates, never had a problem with it
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(October 19, 2021 at 7:59 am)Brian37 Wrote:  

This is an extremely overly cautious attitude.  There are plenty of methods to protect your online transactions and make it difficult for hackers.  99% of online transactions are secure and safe.  Your attitude would be similar to someone saying this is why I never leave my house to buy things at the store; I might get mugged.  If you just do the basics of security, you'll be fine.  And in most cases if you are using a real bank, you won't lose your money if you do get hacked.
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller
I have a few rules.

1) Financial institutions and my email have unique passwords that I completely keep in my head, and I turn on two-factor authentication.
2) Don't let sites store my credit card (well, except for Amazon. Touch wood).

Even then, shady stuff can happen. I got a phishing email today in my inbox.
(October 19, 2021 at 12:33 pm)HappySkeptic Wrote: I have a few rules.

1) Financial institutions and my email have unique passwords that I completely keep in my head, and I turn on two-factor authentication.
2) Don't let sites store my credit card (well, except for Amazon.  Touch wood).

Even then, shady stuff can happen.  I got a phishing email today in my inbox.

Yeah. My banking is two way encrypted. Also now now use my VPN almost all of the time. Best thing I can think of is having 2 stage verification via text to phone for everything.

Unfortunately, my short term memory is shot to hell. Have a terrible time remembering passwords and addresses. Consequently, I keep a hard copy. I live alone and am the only one who uses my computers,   so I'm willing to take the risk. Some one else would need to be ware and know where I keep the list.   Blush  Yeah I know, I might forget where I put the list . Not there yet.

I don't get many phishing emails.  Instead I get those robot phone calls; this is Internal revenue/ emergency department at the hospital/Amazon and like that. They get 10 seconds. Last one was yesterday. Oh, I did have an advance fee scam on my Facebook account only last week. That took three messages to get rid of. Serves me right. Broke my own rule of only friending people I've actually met.  I have three friends. Cool