Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 1:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Generosity of Telstra, huge Aussie TECH
Generosity of Telstra, huge Aussie TECH
Australia's giant main carrier Telstra,  owns all public telephones.  It has just announced that calls from all  public phones are now free, all over Australia, for calls of up to 6 hours. (local calls have not been traditionally timed in Australia) 

Cynic and skeptic that I am, I'm a bit stunned. Is it because these days people seldom use public phones?

Can this possibly be an altruistic act?

Only thing I can think of is tax: Telstra has this massive infrastructure  of public phones all over the country. Due to mobile phones, that infrastructure is badly under used. That means much lower revenue. Could it possibly be that the free calls can b tax write offs? Perhaps that means a lower tax bill on other aspects of Telstra business?

"Australians will now be able to make phone calls for free on public pay phones across the country.
Telstra announced on Tuesday that standard national calls and SMS from the telco’s network of more than 15,000 pay phones will be made free, while pay phones will become coinless from October 1.
But consumers will still have to pay for overseas calls.
Telstra chief executive Andrew Penn said pay phones were a vital lifeline, particularly for the homeless and people escaping an unsafe situation."

Telstra plan makes calls free on pay phones across Australia | news.com.au — Australia’s leading news site

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dear Aussie Friends, Minimalist 5 990 June 3, 2014 at 11:24 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Jerry Springer: I owe you a HUGE public apology! Aractus 10 1870 May 16, 2014 at 5:32 am
Last Post: Aractus