Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 10:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Destruction of self confidence
Destruction of self confidence
I was looking for some information on self confidence and I stumbled upon cquotes like "Don't be wise in your own eyes" or "Be little in your own eyes". This is exactly what could wreck self confidence as I know psychotherapists suggest you should train your self esteem and self confidence by affirming you are good and similar. I clearly see a form of brainwashing going on in christian cults. Has else anyone noted this and possibly other instances?
RE: Destruction of self confidence
Most religions have some cult qualities, control and manipulation are two. Recruiting new members is another. I think that those outside a religion considered any new religion a cult at their beginning.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(November 12, 2021 at 6:43 am)debunk_pls Wrote: "Don't be wise in your own eyes" or "Be little in your own eyes".

I think both of these are very good advice.

Very few people are wise, and very few people are important, in the grand scheme of things. Thinking too highly of oneself is a trap that justifies all kinds of bad behavior. 

This is true for everyone, religious or not.
(November 12, 2021 at 6:43 am)debunk_pls Wrote: I was looking for some information on self confidence and I stumbled upon cquotes like "Don't be wise in your own eyes" or "Be little in your own eyes". This is exactly what could wreck self confidence as I know psychotherapists suggest you should train your self esteem and self confidence by affirming you are good and similar. I clearly see a form of brainwashing going on in christian cults. Has else anyone noted this and possibly other instances?

I have operated as a counsellor and a therapist in the past. That is not how it works. That is not how anything works.
(November 12, 2021 at 8:36 am)Belacqua Wrote:
(November 12, 2021 at 6:43 am)debunk_pls Wrote: "Don't be wise in your own eyes" or "Be little in your own eyes".

I think both of these are very good advice.

Very few people are wise, and very few people are important, in the grand scheme of things. Thinking too highly of oneself is a trap that justifies all kinds of bad behavior. 

This is true for everyone, religious or not.

Um....., not exactly the ideas in the bible. They need to be considered in context. 

Don't be wise in your own eyes: Proverbs 3

Be little in your own eyes: 1 Samuel 15
No one mentioned the bible!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Yes, I have seen and noticed this manipulation tactic in Christian cults. Making you feel small, powerless, and doubting of yourself is a way to build dependence upon the organization. They always say that it is "god" you're supposed to be depending on but the organization speaks for god so you have to listen to and pay them.

It was one of the things that really tripped me up the first few months after discovering the truth about the scam of Mormonism. Despite everything I had learned about the history of the cult and the things they lied about and the blatant gaslighting, I was still thinking, "what if this is just pride? What if I'm falling prey to the adversary and trusting unto mine own understanding?" It had been hammered into me so hard, the need for me to trust in the metaphysical forces of the world and be humble, that when evidence was right in front of my eyes, given to me by the church itself (saying one thing and then saying another), that I just couldn't trust myself at first.

(November 12, 2021 at 9:47 am)zebo-the-fat Wrote: No one mentioned the bible!

Nope, just christian cults. And the bible is a source where the quotes are found. They might be in other sources but I didn't see that they were.
You know I really didn't notice it so much, but considering that at one point in my life I had zero self confidence in myself that might've been the reason why.
I favour small celebrations (a simple "Yay! Did it!" works fine) when successfully solving a problem. I'd be hesitant to do affirmations that are a long distance from being true, but it's okay to tell yourself "I'm making progress on {problem}."

Many groups, including a lot of Christian ones, stand to benefit by having their members emotionally beaten down - it makes it easier to sell them the "cure" for the problem, and harvest both time and money from them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What beliefs would we consider reasonable for a self proclaimed Christian to hold? Whateverist 853 71432 April 16, 2018 at 4:26 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Christian Self-censorship of Dirty Words mihoda 76 11605 November 2, 2016 at 4:52 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Christianity and its effect on self-worth Strider 210 23053 January 8, 2015 at 11:47 am
Last Post: robvalue
  God is not self sufficient Tea Earl Grey Hot 11 2465 January 27, 2014 at 12:03 am
Last Post: Ryantology
  Minimal Facts Approach Self Defeating? Tea Earl Grey Hot 1 1184 January 11, 2014 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: Chas
  Interesting piece on Confidence... ronedee 10 2934 December 12, 2013 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: ronedee
  Faith, Hope and Love - the pillars of destruction? Ciel_Rouge 30 12106 August 22, 2012 at 5:42 am
Last Post: pgrimes15
  Armageddon: The Self-Fulfilling Prophecy michaelsherlock 53 26056 April 13, 2012 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  What's wrong with the doctrine of God's self-exisence?... dave4shmups 30 10512 November 6, 2010 at 11:03 am
Last Post: Captain Scarlet