Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Four humors
Four humors
So, since the middle ages, and for the long time afterwards, staple of medicine was the four humors, but was this "four humors theory" able to cure at least one disease?

The belief was that there were four humors at play in the body – blood, phlegm, black bile, and yellow bile – which corresponded to the four elements and could be classified as various combinations of hot, dry, wet, and cold. Illness arose as a result of these humors becoming imbalanced. People’s temperaments were based on their own balance of humors, and were therefore sanguine, choleric, melancholic, or phlegmatic. Humors were also tied to sex, with men being hot and dry, and women cold and wet.

It show us is that medieval medical theory was all about mindless drawing on classical authorities and expanding from there, (as were almost all areas of thought) without asking the question "does it work?"
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: Four humors
I can only assume that a big part of why it ended up lasting so long is because they couldn’t figure out a way to prove germ theory. Some people figured out germ theory before then, but they couldn’t demonstrate it in a way that made sense. Like how Athanasius Kircher figured out how microorganisms caused plague and even came up with measures like quarantine and wearing a face mask, but thought the microorganisms were little animals and probably couldn’t even tell the white and red blood cells from the plague bacteria.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
My humor cures dullness, and feeds my ego.

Now come closer so that I can bleed you.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(January 13, 2022 at 5:14 pm)brewer Wrote: My humor cures dullness, and feeds my ego.

*Now come closer so that I can bleed you.*

That's my line!

Diablo
Dying to live, living to die.