Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Are You Okay?"
"Are You Okay?"
I recently lost over 100 pounds in just over six months, and since then, I've had several people ask me... "Are you okay?"

Funny  Dodgy

None of them asked me if I was okay when I was morbidly obese.

*END RANT*
RE: "Are You Okay?"
(April 19, 2022 at 6:17 pm)ABQ505 Wrote: I recently lost over 100 pounds in just over six months, and since then, I've had several people ask me... "Are you okay?"

Funny  Dodgy

*END RANT*

Congrats on the weight loss!  That's quite an accomplishment.  I hope you are feeling better and able to do more now.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(April 19, 2022 at 6:17 pm)ABQ505 Wrote: I recently lost over 100 pounds in just over six months, and since then, I've had several people ask me... "Are you okay?"

Funny  Dodgy

*END RANT*

Outstanding! 

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
congrats... that kind of determination is difficult. As an explanation, rapid weight loss, unless you announced it can be warning signs for cancer, depression, anxiety, celiac... tons of other issues. They probably should have asked, what's new... looks like you've lost weight. I'd be touched that they payed attention enough to show concern.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(April 19, 2022 at 6:25 pm)tackattack Wrote: congrats... that kind of determination is difficult. As an explanation, rapid weight loss, unless you announced it can be warning signs for cancer, depression, anxiety, celiac... tons of other issues. They probably should have asked, what's new... looks like you've lost weight. I'd be touched that they payed attention enough to show concern.

Yeah, lots of people don’t think before they ask a question.

I was once committed to a psych ward for a number of days (I went on a two week bender, tried to kill a priest - the usual), and got asked several times a day, ‘How are you?’ It was all I could do to not answer, ‘I’m confined to a looney bin - how the fuck do you think I am??’

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(April 19, 2022 at 6:25 pm)tackattack Wrote: congrats... that kind of determination is difficult. As an explanation, rapid weight loss, unless you announced it can be warning signs for cancer, depression, anxiety, celiac... tons of other issues. They probably should have asked, what's new... looks like you've lost weight. I'd be touched that they payed attention enough to show concern.
I appreciate their concern, however, my rant is because they didn't display such concern for my health when I was actually unhealthy. It's sad that in this culture, people don't have the freedom to express concern when concern is due, and instead only express 'concern' when confronted with what this same culture has deemed 'unusual' (weight loss).
(April 20, 2022 at 1:15 pm)ABQ505 Wrote:
I appreciate their concern, however, my rant is because they didn't display such concern for my health when I was actually unhealthy. It's sad that in this culture, people don't have the freedom to express concern when concern is due, and instead only express 'concern' when confronted with what this same culture has deemed 'unusual' (weight loss).

A person's weight can be a really touchy issue.  Unless it's a very close friend or family member, it's doubtful that someone will say something regarding a person being overweight.

I was sick the last couple years and lot a lot of weight - for me anyway when you look at %.  It took a while to figure out what was going on.  My clothes were falling off me and I was very weak.  Only my older daughter said anything as I wasted away down to about 106 pounds at one point. (I since fluffed up to 124 pounds.) It just isn't something most people are comfortable mentioning...probably for fear of making the person feel bad or being seen as 'fat shaming' when it's actually health concern instead.

Either way - I am glad you are healthier and hopefully happier.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Thanks to those who've given kudos on my weight loss. I'm feeling great! For anyone who's interested, I did it by starting and maintaining a plant-based diet, walking about 7 miles a day, and I gave up sugar. I do all of the cooking on the homestead, and thus, my wife has also taken to the lifestyle, and she's lost 30 pounds  herself.
I was very thin until going through a period where I was able to gain weight.  By 27, I had finally added that "if only" 25 lbs.

I was used to people asking me if I was okay.  Or, do you have a tapeworm?
@ABQ505 I think we're all unhealthy in our own ways and some ways are just easier to hide. I think we could all be surprised at what we can get used to if the change is gradual enough, like a lobster in a pot. I'm glad the three of you have people to care enough to ask is everything ok. Some people don't have anyone.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari