Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 6:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Last thursdayism
Last thursdayism
Yep try and prove me wrong all you want I have absolutely no proof so this view is as useful as there being a very small tea pot orbiting Jupiter that's always just to small to see. Yep I'm convinced it all started last Thursday as if this reality had always existed. How do I know this I feel it true in my soul. I think it's all just going to suddenly end next Thursday so I'm having a party Wednesday. I may have my dates wrong the last Thursday which reality appeared may not have happened so I may have to have more Wednesday parties. I excuse the fact that it seems as if it's real on getting my dates right or that this is just a bit prep existence that only seems real to get me ready for next Thursday. 
Ok I don't really believe this but it makes as much sense as any of the other religions and with this version of last thursdayism you can have wednesday parties every other wednesday.
RE: Last thursdayism
I'll add this to my list of things I can't prove along with, "there are other people in the world." I suggest you do the same and stick it in a safe place.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(May 24, 2022 at 8:54 am)Angrboda Wrote: I'll add this to my list of things I can't prove along with, "there are other people in the world."  I suggest you do the same and stick it in a safe place.
What really can be proven though? If pretty much everything is a matter of individual perception, not a whole lot (if anything at all) can be proven with any certainty. It's better to entertain fringe or even totally original theories over more "factual" or mainstream stuff because considering the implications of the more novel stuff will broaden your intellectual horizons in a deeper way.
"Imagination, life is your creation"
(May 24, 2022 at 9:35 am)Ahriman Wrote:
(May 24, 2022 at 8:54 am)Angrboda Wrote: I'll add this to my list of things I can't prove along with, "there are other people in the world."  I suggest you do the same and stick it in a safe place.
What really can be proven though? If pretty much everything is a matter of individual perception, not a whole lot (if anything at all) can be proven with any certainty. It's better to entertain fringe or even totally original theories over more "factual" or mainstream stuff because considering the implications of the more novel stuff will broaden your intellectual horizons in a deeper way.

In a sublime way fact can be like fiction and fiction can be like fact.
What I mean is facts are approximation's that don't fully fit so they are in some way fiction.
Fiction on the other hand in an infinite universe at least may well be describing something actually happening somewhere else entirely
It seems that Ahriman has found a new friend!
(May 24, 2022 at 9:46 pm)Jehanne Wrote: It seems that Ahriman has found a new friend!

Birds of a feather flock together.-

But bats of the batshit crazy are flocking fucked....

Panic Panic  Panic
Yes, well this is just radical skepticism dressed up as a challenge. I doubt the OP is much interested in professing a theory of Time to go along with his Thursdayism. I say this because, if he is a Presentist, then he would have to explain why the past is real only back to Thursday then stops being real. Or if he is an Eternalist, he would face the difficulty of explaining why Thursday is so special among other real past moments.
<insert profound quote here>
(May 24, 2022 at 11:19 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: Yes, well this is just radical skepticism dressed up as a challenge. I doubt the OP is much interested in professing a theory of Time to go along with his Thursdayism. I say this because, if he is a Presentist, then he would have to explain why the past is real only back to Thursday then stops being real. Or if he is an Eternalist, he would face the difficulty of explaining why Thursday is so special among other real past moments.

It's special to excuse yourself a party every other Wednesday and confuse people trying to preach to you. It's based on maybe a belief on a querk in an indecisive reality. It's not special it's just conscious reality assumes people find wednesday a good day for a party so it leaves them an excuse.
(May 24, 2022 at 11:19 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: Yes, well this is just radical skepticism dressed up as a challenge. I doubt the OP is much interested in professing a theory of Time to go along with his Thursdayism. I say this because, if he is a Presentist, then he would have to explain why the past is real only back to Thursday then stops being real. Or if he is an Eternalist, he would face the difficulty of explaining why Thursday is so special among other real past moments.

Theists are faced with the same dilemma -- if God created space & time, "when" did that happen? The simplest explanation is to claim that the Cosmos is eternal, without a beginning and without an end.
(May 25, 2022 at 7:17 am)Jehanne Wrote:

Theists are faced with the same dilemma -- if God created space & time, "when" did that happen? The simplest explanation is to claim that the Cosmos is eternal, without a beginning and without an end.

Not really, strictly speaking notions of time do not apply in any meaningful way to the God of classical theism. It's like asking how big a concept is. Because we are creatures of time within time our ability to imagine any mode of existence that transcends time. Personally, I find time, as time, and our experience of it to be two of the most entrancing philosophical topics. God's eternal nature is mystery to me...in the best sense of the word. And I truly do not think it is necessary to know everything about something before you can know that it basically exists...like God...or gravity.

Anyway despite the OP having been banned, I would not mind having a friendly discussion about God and time...mostly just speculating though, because lMHO anyone who stubbournly insist that their ideas about time are the correct ones is a fool. No one truly understands time, as in the actual ontological status of the past, present, and future.
<insert profound quote here>