Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 4:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A question about databases
A question about databases
In 2018, on a test about databases (which I have failed multiple times) at my university, they had this task:
Quote:Napisati T-SQL funkciju koja prima 3 realna broja, te kao rezultat vraća onaj broj koji ima najveću apsolutnu vrijednost. Ako slučajno istu najveću apsolutnu vrijednost imaju dva ili tri broja potrebno je vratiti zbroj tih brojeva.
That is:
Quote:Write a T-SQL function that accepts 3 real numbers, and as a result it returns the number that has the biggest absolute value. If accidentally the same biggest absolute value is had by two or three numbers it is necessary to return the sum of those numbers.
How would you solve that?
Here is my attempt, I do not know if it is correct nor how to actually test it on my computer:
Code:
CREATE FUNCTION max_abs3(@x, @y, @z DECIMAL) RETURNS DECIMAL
BEGIN
    IF ABS(@x)=ABS(@y) AND ABS(@y)=ABS(@z)
    BEGIN
        RETURN @x+@y+@z;
    END;
    IF ABS(@x)=ABS(@y) AND ABS(@x)>ABS(@z)
    BEGIN
        RETURN @x+@y;
    END;
    IF ABS(@x)=ABS(@z) AND ABS(@x)>ABS(@y)
    BEGIN
        RETURN @x+@z;
    END;
    IF ABS(@y)=ABS(@z) AND ABS(@y)>ABS(@x)
    BEGIN
        RETURN @y+@z;
    END;
    IF ABS(@x)>ABS(@y) AND ABS(@x)>ABS(@z)
    BEGIN
        RETURN @x;
    END;
    IF ABS(@y)>ABS(@z) AND ABS(@y)>ABS(@x)
        RETURN @y;
    END;
    RETURN @z;
END;
I have only managed to install SQLite on my computer, and it apparently does not support custom SQL functions.
RE: A question about databases
I have asked this question on a forum about SQL Server: https://www.reddit.com/r/SQLServer/comme...ium=mweb3x
Check with a linguist.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
My consulting rate is $50/hr, prepaid with a 3-hr minimum. All sales are final. No refunds.
(May 26, 2022 at 9:49 am)FlatAssembler Wrote: I have asked this question on a forum about SQL Server: https://www.reddit.com/r/SQLServer/comme...ium=mweb3x

Thank you for that update.

Keep us posted.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

The answer is moops. Coffee
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(May 26, 2022 at 12:30 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Check with a linguist.

Boru

*snort*
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
If you re-write the equation in Sumerian cuneiform (NOT Babylonian cuneiform as most do), then put it through a Hebrew translator into Greek (Macedonian, of course), then run it through Auto-Correct, you'll get it right.*

*or possibly wrong. 50/50 chance.
Dying to live, living to die.

Boru

I do not understand. What does this have to do with linguistics?
(May 27, 2022 at 6:26 am)FlatAssembler Wrote:

Boru

I do not understand. What does this have to do with linguistics?

Well, you submitted a linguistics idea to a mathematician, didn’t you?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson