Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 11:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monkeypox
Monkeypox
Considering that the WHO has declared global health emergency about monkeypox I am opening this thread for people to get informed and possibly even protect themselves.

Hopefully, this topic will quickly get redundant and this won't turn into COVID-like problem.

Here's some information

Quote:While countries in Europe have been hardest hit, cases have also been reported in the US, Canada, Australia, Nigeria, Israel, Brazil and Mexico among others.

The WHO said the outbreak was largely among men who have sex with men who had reported having sex recently with new or multiple partners. However, experts have stressed that anyone can get monkeypox as it is spread by close or intimate contact, with the UN having warned that some media portrayals of Africans and LGBTQ+ people “reinforce homophobic and racist stereotypes and exacerbate stigma”.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/j...al-concern

How it spreads:

Monkeypox spreads from person to person through close contact with someone who has a monkeypox rash, including through face-to-face, skin-to-skin, mouth-to-mouth or mouth-to-skin contact, including sexual contact. We are still learning about how long people with monkeypox are infectious for, but generally they are considered infectious until all of their lesions have crusted over, the scabs have fallen off and a new layer of skin has formed underneath.

Environments can become contaminated with the monkeypox virus, for example when an infectious person touches clothing, bedding, towels, objects, electronics and surfaces. Someone else who touches these items can then become infected.  It is also possible to become infected from breathing in skin flakes or virus from clothing, bedding or towels. This is known as fomite transmission.

Ulcers, lesions or sores in the mouth can be infectious, meaning the virus can spread through direct contact with the mouth, respiratory droplets and possibly through short-range aerosols. Possible mechanisms of transmission through the air for monkeypox are not yet well understood and studies are underway to learn more.

The virus can also spread from someone who is pregnant to the fetus, after birth through skin-to-skin contact, or from a parent with monkeypox to an infant or child during close contact.  

Although asymptomatic infection has been reported, it is not clear whether people without any symptoms can spread the disease or whether it can spread through other bodily fluids.  Pieces of DNA from the monkeypox virus have been found in semen, but it is not yet known whether infection can spread through semen, vaginal fluids, amniotic fluids, breastmilk or blood. Research is underway to find out more about whether people can spread monkeypox through the exchange of these fluids during and after symptomatic infection.  

https://www.who.int/news-room/questions-.../monkeypox
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: Monkeypox
More good information here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkeypox
Keep your cotton-picking hands off my monkey!
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I guess since Murder Hornets didn't quite work out to be the threat predicted, we have now moved on to Monkey Pox. Why the fuck not? Not much surprises me any more.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(July 23, 2022 at 11:17 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: I guess since Murder Hornets didn't quite work out to be the threat predicted, we have now moved on to Monkey Pox. Why the fuck not? Not much surprises me any more.

False positives versus false negatives, I suppose.
Oh no, there is yet another virus: Marburg

Quote:The highly infectious Marburg virus has been reported in the West African country of Ghana this week, according to the World Health Organization.

Two unrelated people died after testing positive for Marburg in the southern Ashanti region of the country, the WHO said Sunday, confirming lab results from Ghana’s health service. The highly infectious disease is similar to Ebola and has no vaccine.

Fatality rates from the disease can reach nearly 90 percent, according to the WHO.

Once someone is infected, the virus can spread easily between humans through direct contact with the bodily fluids of infected people such as blood, saliva or urine, as well as on surfaces and materials. Relatives and health workers remain most vulnerable alongside patients, and bodies can remain contagious at burial.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/202...frica-who/
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(July 24, 2022 at 12:50 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: Oh no, there is yet another virus: Marburg

Quote:The highly infectious Marburg virus has been reported in the West African country of Ghana this week, according to the World Health Organization.

Two unrelated people died after testing positive for Marburg in the southern Ashanti region of the country, the WHO said Sunday, confirming lab results from Ghana’s health service. The highly infectious disease is similar to Ebola and has no vaccine.

Fatality rates from the disease can reach nearly 90 percent, according to the WHO.

Once someone is infected, the virus can spread easily between humans through direct contact with the bodily fluids of infected people such as blood, saliva or urine, as well as on surfaces and materials. Relatives and health workers remain most vulnerable alongside patients, and bodies can remain contagious at burial.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/202...frica-who/

Yeah.

I ain't going to Ghana for this one.

Sierra Leone was enough.
Dying to live, living to die.
Advice re monkey pox: Don't have sex with people living in England.

It's far more prevalent there than anywhere else.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(July 23, 2022 at 11:17 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: I guess since Murder Hornets didn't quite work out to be the threat predicted, we have now moved on to Monkey Pox.  Why the fuck not?  Not much surprises me any more.

And the killer bees are looking for a new agent....

They haven' t had any airplay in years......
(July 25, 2022 at 1:27 pm)GUBU Wrote: Advice re monkey pox:  Don't have sex with people living in England.

It's far more prevalent there than anywhere else.

Well, damn....now what am I going to do with my afternoon?

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius