Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] Tit for tat.
Tit for tat.
It seems to me that the United States' killing of Ayman al-Zawahiri is just going to perpetuate the cycle of violence in our World, perhaps leading to a nuclear holocaust.  Why not take the high road and renounce extrajudicial executions?  In spite of being a mass murderer, as a human being, Ayman al-Zawahiri was still entitled to due process under the Law.  I find it ironic that President Joe Biden, who opposes the death penalty, would authorize the deliberate killing of another human being.
RE: Tit for tat.
Moderator Notice
Joke removed. Serious thread.

Boru
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(August 2, 2022 at 10:45 am)Jehanne Wrote: It seems to me that the United States' killing of Ayman al-Zawahiri is just going to perpetuate the cycle of violence in our World, perhaps leading to a nuclear holocaust.  Why not take the high road and renounce extrajudicial executions?  In spite of being a mass murderer, as a human being, Ayman al-Zawahiri was still entitled to due process under the Law.  I find it ironic that President Joe Biden, who opposes the death penalty, would authorize the deliberate killing of another human being.

The rules are different when it comes to war. The deliberate killing of an enemy leader isn't an 'extrajudicial execution', any more than is the killing of a soldier on the battlefield.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(August 2, 2022 at 12:52 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(August 2, 2022 at 10:45 am)Jehanne Wrote: It seems to me that the United States' killing of Ayman al-Zawahiri is just going to perpetuate the cycle of violence in our World, perhaps leading to a nuclear holocaust.  Why not take the high road and renounce extrajudicial executions?  In spite of being a mass murderer, as a human being, Ayman al-Zawahiri was still entitled to due process under the Law.  I find it ironic that President Joe Biden, who opposes the death penalty, would authorize the deliberate killing of another human being.

The rules are different when it comes to war. The deliberate killing of an enemy leader isn't an 'extrajudicial execution', any more than is the killing of a soldier on the battlefield.

Boru

Are we at war? According to the Constitution, only Congress can issue a declaration of war.
(August 2, 2022 at 12:56 pm)Jehanne Wrote:
(August 2, 2022 at 12:52 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: The rules are different when it comes to war. The deliberate killing of an enemy leader isn't an 'extrajudicial execution', any more than is the killing of a soldier on the battlefield.

Boru

Are we at war?  According to the Constitution, only Congress can issue a declaration of war.

Pfft, that matters? When two sides are shooting at each other, it's a war, official declaration or not.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Legality isn' t really an issue - concerning the OP question - which is - is this a good idea?

Condoning such action for one side means that it' s fair game for the other side to play equally.....
(August 2, 2022 at 12:59 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(August 2, 2022 at 12:56 pm)Jehanne Wrote: Are we at war?  According to the Constitution, only Congress can issue a declaration of war.

Pfft, that matters? When two sides are shooting at each other, it's a war, official declaration or not.

Boru

Of COURSE it matters. It' s a legal distinction that can literally mean life or death....
(August 2, 2022 at 1:01 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: Legality isn' t really an issue - concerning the OP question - which is - is this a good idea?

Condoning such action for one side means that it' s fair game for the other side to play equally.....

And, so, Russia murdering defectors on United States soil is okay?
(August 2, 2022 at 1:05 pm)Jehanne Wrote:
(August 2, 2022 at 1:01 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: Legality isn' t really an issue - concerning the OP question - which is - is this a good idea?

And, so, Russia murdering defectors on United States soil is okay?
Not quite the same thing - but I can certainly see the Russians claiming it is......
(August 2, 2022 at 1:09 pm)onlinebiker Wrote:
(August 2, 2022 at 1:05 pm)Jehanne Wrote: And, so, Russia murdering defectors on United States soil is okay?
Not quite the same thing - but I can certainly see the Russians claiming it is......

How is it different?