Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The transitioning of terms
The transitioning of terms
The word used to be homeless. Now, the more politically correct term seems to be unhoused.

We see through history and societal progression the alteration of terminology. It upsets some people while others see it as a natural and necessary change.

What say you?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: The transitioning of terms
(August 10, 2022 at 3:01 am)Tomato Wrote: The word used to be homeless. Now, the more politically correct term seems to be unhoused.

We see through history and societal progression the alteration of terminology. It upsets some people while others see it as a natural and necessary change.

What say you?

In the example you gave, I'm not at all concerned about the term 'unhoused' - it's more correctly descriptive. 'Homeless' never made much sense, since wherever you live (in a park, under a bridge, etc) is your hope.

One term that does get on my tits, though, is 'differently abled'. When I lost the ability to see out of my left eye, I didn't suddenly acquire some new and different ability to make up for it.

For me, it depends on the motivation behind the term as much as the term itself.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(August 10, 2022 at 4:31 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(August 10, 2022 at 3:01 am)Tomato Wrote: The word used to be homeless. Now, the more politically correct term seems to be unhoused.

What say you?

In the example you gave, I'm not at all concerned about the term 'unhoused' - it's more correctly descriptive. 'Homeless' never made much sense, since wherever you live (in a park, under a bridge, etc) is your hope.

One term that does get on my tits, though, is 'differently abled'. When I lost the ability to see out of my left eye, I didn't suddenly acquire some new and different ability to make up for it.

For me, it depends on the motivation behind the term as much as the term itself.

Boru
I hate disabled as well... I prefer gimp or cripple.

The idiots who launder language for "offensive" terms seem to think renaming a condition makes the afflicted better....

I' m waiting for them to start calling fat people "gravitationally challenged"...
(August 10, 2022 at 4:31 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:

What say you?

Boru
True motivation matters 

I think for things like being overweight it can be justified as it's proven that negative connotations can actually affect people's ability to lose weight. But yeah terms like different abled seem ill-conceived and unhelpful.
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(August 10, 2022 at 8:44 am)onlinebiker Wrote:
(August 10, 2022 at 4:31 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: In the example you gave, I'm not at all concerned about the term 'unhoused' - it's more correctly descriptive. 'Homeless' never made much sense, since wherever you live (in a park, under a bridge, etc) is your hope.

Boru
I hate disabled as well... I prefer gimp or cripple.

The idiots who launder language for "offensive" terms seem to think renaming a condition makes the afflicted better....

I' m waiting for them to start calling fat people "gravitationally challenged"...

The punching bag this year is people who are anatomically incorrect.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transitioning test runs... Gawdzilla Sama 21 1123 November 2, 2018 at 7:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  If we're on good terms... Foxaèr 31 3434 August 20, 2018 at 9:20 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Coming to terms with not finding romantic love dyresand 19 4492 July 22, 2015 at 3:12 am
Last Post: Longhorn