Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 3:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
His Dark Materials
His Dark Materials
His Dark Materials (books)
His Dark Materials (tv show)

(Finally got around to watching it)

For those of you who are fans, can you explain to me in what way it is atheistic?

I'm just not seeing it. Maybe the HBO series is dissenting from the books?

Because all I see is religious overtones, and I'm almost done with season two. There was one scene, with Lord Asriel, regarding being against the concept of sin, but there's been nothing definitively atheistic.

What am I missing?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: His Dark Materials
If anything, the show is anti-organized-religion, but nowhere near atheistic. The prime concept is riddled with what can be described as spirituality.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
It's religious nuts who decided it was "atheistic"...stick around awhile, you'll see that they have no idea what the term means.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 11, 2022 at 8:14 pm)Tomato Wrote: His Dark Materials (books)
His Dark Materials (tv show)

(Finally got around to watching it)

For those of you who are fans, can you explain to me in what way it is atheistic?

I'm just not seeing it. Maybe the HBO series is dissenting from the books?

Because all I see is religious overtones, and I'm almost done with season two. There was one scene, with Lord Asriel, regarding being against the concept of sin, but there's been nothing definitively atheistic.

What am I missing?

I've never read the books, so I can't comment on that.

Pullman was the chairman of the British William Blake Society, and worked to memorialize Blake. He helped fund a memorial stone and tried to buy Blake's cottage in Felpham for the state. 

Blake was a Christian through and through. No one who respects Blake can be entirely against Christianity.
Pullman has called himself a 'Church of England atheist'. Just because the author is an atheist doesn't make his work atheistic (despite what some fundamentalists think). The book features angels, and a very old angel claiming to be God that Lyra killed. The implication is that there is a Creator who doesn't make an appearance. I'd say His Dark Materials is more a criticism of dogmatism and the use of organized religion to oppress people, it certainly doesn't take the position that one shouldn't believe there's a God.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
That's enough. None of the nutters care if theres a god, they only care that they can assert that their god is the only god and his representatives on earth are to be obeyed - which the series is very much against. My daughter loved it.

I think it manages to touch on doubts about authority and the (suddenly apprehended) duplicity of adults, especially parents..to kids of a certain age. Basically kryptonite to dipshits who can't get a kid to do what they want them to do by any other means. Who had relied on and expected arguments from authority to be effective in perpetuity.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  His Dark Materials CatholicDefender 8 1513 September 1, 2017 at 11:55 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  The Dark Tower-Film Shell B 28 3093 August 6, 2017 at 2:56 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Considering his vile visit to Warsaw, a poem. Brian37 0 527 July 6, 2017 at 8:36 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Would you recommend his dark materials? snerie 16 5265 June 15, 2017 at 3:39 pm
Last Post: John V
  A dark night WinterHold 1 624 November 20, 2016 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  His Dark Materials? TrueChristian 19 10268 February 3, 2016 at 12:54 am
Last Post: Aroura
  Remedy for Memory (sorta dark) Longhorn 16 3692 August 18, 2015 at 4:49 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  Join the Dark Side, Obi Wan is no hero. Brian37 20 6637 March 4, 2014 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: eyemixer
  The Dark Knight Part 4: The Man of Steel Bad Writer 2 1284 June 26, 2013 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Ricky Gervais reprises his role as David Brent in "Brent's Back" CleanShavenJesus 0 1059 March 2, 2013 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: CleanShavenJesus