Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 2:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The origin of my user name
The origin of my user name
For anybody who's wondering, today is the 40th anniversary of the Irish phrase GUBU, which perfectly encapsulates the most scandal ridden government in the history of the country.

GUBU stands for "gross, unprecedented, bizarre and unbelievable" from a phrase uttered by then Taoiseach Charles Haughey upon hearing that multiple murderer Malcom McArthur had been found by An Garda Síochána hiding out in the home of then Attorney General Patrick Connolly (who didn't know that McArthur was wanted for two murders until his arrest). Little did the Squire Haughey know that GUBU would come to define the rest of his political career.

For more on the events leading up to the coining of the phrase, wikipedia has a good summary.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
RE: The origin of my user name
I think I answered this question once before but here goes anyway.

I say nay!
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Irony, Thy Name Is Borowitz! Minimalist 7 1145 April 19, 2017 at 2:53 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  What is it with Trump supporters not wanting to discuss policy without name calling NuclearEnergy 73 13287 December 28, 2016 at 8:00 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  What was the recent shooter's name again? Creed of Heresy 0 670 September 19, 2013 at 6:30 am
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  Can you Name a Single Successful Government Program? Koolay 73 17608 August 31, 2013 at 11:34 am
Last Post: CleanShavenJesus
  XKeyscore: NSA tool collects 'nearly everything a user does on the internet' Jackalope 15 3796 August 1, 2013 at 8:39 pm
Last Post: kılıç_mehmet