Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 4:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wow, just wow (HoD)
Wow, just wow (HoD)
House of the Dragon, episode two, wants to go the way of the Muslim.

Spoiler:

"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Wow, just wow (HoD)
It's not just Muslim practice to marry adults to kids, but other religions as well, including Christianity, especially in medieval times.

Quote:From 380 A.D. to 1971 A.D. the minimum marriageable age was 12 years for females and 14 years for males in the Roman Catholic Church, which was adopted into canon law from Roman law.

Judith of Flanders (aged about 12/13) was married to Æthelwulf, King of Wessex (aged about 61), in October 856.

Beatrice of Vermandois (aged about 10) was married to Robert, Margrave of Neustria (aged about 24; later King of West Francia), in c. 890

Bertha of Swabia (aged about 15) was married to Rudolph II of Burgundy (aged about 42) in 922.

Gisela of Hungary (aged about 11) was married to Stephen I of Hungary (aged about 21) in 996.

Cecile of France (aged 8/9) was married to Tancred, Prince of Galilee (aged 30/31), in late 1106.

And so on

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_child_brides
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
Just for the record, this sort of thing was alarmingly common among the royalty of Europe in the Medieval Era, whose history and aesthetics George R.R. Martin tends to crib from. At least one king of England went as far as marrying a girl of SEVEN. It's moments like this that I'm disappointed that Two Gentlemen of Lebowski doesn't have a Shakespearean equivalent to "Eight Year Olds, Dude." And I checked, even after finding out that The Jesus was renamed Joshua Quince. Except maybe
"WALTER
Nay, fear him not, nor his unworthy joys.
Recall the tragic tale of the pageboys"
But that doesn't work as well.

To be fair, there was a fairly small concession to decency in that such marriages wouldn't marry until the girl was old enough to menstruate.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Let's all keep in mind that these were political marriages, done to cement military alliances, circumvent power blocks, establish trade agreements, etc. Sex with child brides wasn't a consideration (this is one of the reasons for the abundance of noble/royal bastards that cluttered up medieval Europe).

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
And the show gets creepier (haven't seen it, but saw this article).

Spoiler

Watching it now since my work weekend is at an end.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I think I am all in now. Things are getting crazy and I have to see how it turns out.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AfterDeath movie: FUCKING WOW Foxaèr 0 735 January 24, 2016 at 12:49 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Red Bull Rube Goldberg Machine - Wow. Tiberius 17 4105 December 7, 2012 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Wow Cinjin 5 1196 December 7, 2011 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: Phaedra
  Wow! BBC asks for my opinion! Floored and flummoxed! Anymouse 5 2252 July 26, 2011 at 1:47 pm
Last Post: fr0d0
  Wow Phantom Demonaura 3 1546 February 17, 2009 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: leo-rcc