Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm no longer an anti-theist
I'm no longer an anti-theist
At work today I met a man who spent his whole childhood in care and later prison, including for murder. He is in his late sixties and his face and demeanour reflect his tragic and tortured life. He did not have to disclose this information to me but clearly felt he trusted me enough to be honest and open. He wears a crucifix around his neck and today I decided the LAST thing I'd want to do is proverbially "snatch that chain from around his neck" - the thought that he is forgiven for the "sins" of his youth/past and that salvation awaits is likely all that keeps him going. There are doubtless 100s of thousands of others like him in the same boat.

My outspoken atheism/anti-theism is a thing of the past. If anybody asks me from now on, my reply will simply be "I'm an agnostic."

Truce
RE: I'm no longer an anti-theist
I've never been much of an anti-theist, nor have I ever thought it required to be an atheist. I really don't care what fantasies others hold dear, as long as they're not trying to force those beliefs on others whether by encode them into law or any other means. If faith in some imaginary sky daddy gives someone comfort, I am no more likely to deny them that than I am to deny the placebo to a suffering patient. If it helps you, have at it, so long as you don't try to force it on others.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
I've never been one to try to take someone's religious belief from them. We have talked about that often here especially for older people at the end of their lives.

I just wish that there wasn't such an effort to push religious beliefs on others.

After decades and decades of being a drunk, my mother is now finally (in her 80s) sober and attending church on the regular. She sure didn't attend church when I was growing up and was openly hostile to the Catholics around her everywhere...dad and we kids included as well as extended family. I don't necessarily buy into her newfound piety...but it's one less thing we have to worry about if she's staying sober for Jebus.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

We know that sugar isn't great for our health - but you don't see me slapping candy bars out of peoples mouths. I don't know why there's supposed to be any conceptual connection between the two ideas, such that mentioning your opinions on theism takes something away from someone else or implies that it should be.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(September 5, 2022 at 4:56 pm)Duty Wrote: At work today I met a man who spent his whole childhood in care and later prison, including for murder. He is in his late sixties and his face and demeanour reflect his tragic and tortured life. He did not have to disclose this information to me but clearly felt he trusted me enough to be honest and open. He wears a crucifix around his neck and today I decided the LAST thing I'd want to do is proverbially "snatch that chain from around his neck" - the thought that he is forgiven for the "sins" of his youth/past and that salvation awaits is likely all that keeps him going. There are doubtless 100s of thousands of others like him in the same boat.

My outspoken atheism/anti-theism is a thing of the past. If anybody asks me from now on, my reply will simply be "I'm an agnostic."

Truce

He's lucky to be out of prison.  Considering his victim(s) state of being, he is doing pretty well.

No one will argue that religion & faith are sometimes useful (and, sometimes destructive, both individually and collectively); doesn't make any of it true.
I hope you realize there are other options beyond anti-theist and agnostic.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Most people are religiously agnostic, because it is a position about knowledge, not belief. When you get down to it, there is no direct evidence for the existence of god nor none for its non-existence (thoug the evidence we do have leans quite heavily in the "while a god is not, strictly speaking, impossible, a god most definitely is not necessary to explain existence").

While most human gods are easily disprovable, a generic god is a different matter (ironically enough, the most plausilbe gods are the fallible, limited and often quite stupid gods that are on the very edge of dying out completely, if not already dead).
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
Please make a distinction between a desperate person holding on to religious belief for comfort and some fuckwad like Mike Pence who will do everything in his power to shove his toxic beliefs down the throats of others.

It is the latter that must be opposed. One can have sympathy and compassion for the harmless victim while sparing no kick in the balls to the evangelist.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
I've only met one elderly resident in the nursing home who was very vocal about her religious beliefs. Of course, she also had dementia. I've entered a few rooms where the residents had religious memorabilia, but for the most part religion just isn't brought up in conversation during care. If I worked day shift, I imagine I'd probably encounter it more often from family members.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Mental health can be hard to keep in stressful times.  So, believe in fairies if that helps you crawl back to camp.  Just don't expect me to believe or insist your means to an end was an end in itself.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  History: The Iniquitous Anti-Christian French Revolution. Nishant Xavier 27 2205 August 6, 2023 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  The fascinating asymmetry of theist-atheist discussion Astreja 5 450 July 22, 2023 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  I received a letter from a theist, need a good reply Radamand 22 2020 March 22, 2022 at 10:56 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Angry Atheists and Anti-Theists Agnostico 186 18579 December 31, 2018 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Isn't Atheism anti Christian than anti religious? Western part atleast Kibbi 14 3495 October 5, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Why do theist often drop the letter s when referring to atheists? I_am_not_mafia 56 11894 August 23, 2018 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
Tongue Disproving Odin - An Experiment in arguing with a theist with Theist logic Cecelia 983 149130 June 6, 2018 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Raven Orlock
  Why was Newton a theist? Alexmahone 65 12764 March 24, 2018 at 12:39 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Why America is anti-theist. Goosebump 3 1106 March 1, 2018 at 9:06 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  Hug a Theist vulcanlogician 31 5582 December 23, 2017 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Cyberman