Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How 9/11 shaped the Misinformation Industry
How 9/11 shaped the Misinformation Industry
How the 9/11 attacks helped shape the modern misinformation, conspiracy theory industry
Politi Fact

Quote:IF YOUR TIME IS SHORT

The sudden terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001, seemed to defy explanation and occurred just as the internet started to boom. That combination spawned various conspiracy theories and made them accessible in new ways.

The attacks also fueled distrust in government and fears of real and perceived enemies. Experts said the feeling of lost trust and security likely made some Americans more susceptible to conspiracy theories about 9/11 and other topics.

One key accelerator of the 9/11 truth movement was an amateur documentary released online in 2005, which created a template for future videos, such as “Plandemic.”

"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: How 9/11 shaped the Misinformation Industry
I'm not fucking around with this subject with five condoms on.
"Imagination, life is your creation"
To me, it seems that modern conspiracy thinking was shaped in the 90s with the movie JFK. I still can't believe what I hear today in interviews people praising that movie and that lunatic Oliver Stone. I mean, it was a mainstream movie and people just accepted it.

I remember even watching the episode of the TV show "Bones" where they were researching the JFK assassination of a lone gunman or several shooters, and to my amazement, they didn't conclude the episode for what I can only guess is that there are so many people believing the conspiracy that they didn't want to offend the big chunk of their audience.

Of course, what further shaped people's minds in the 90s was the X-Files where they were selling people week after week the notion that the American government is some sort of supernatural force which has no bounds to cover up anything from everyone in the world. I mean, I guess most people saw it as fun fictional entertainment, but if they didn't think it all through they got caught up in the 9/11 conspiracies.

But then again, maybe the major factor for deluding people were the usual suspects of those who sell biorhythm charts, horoscopes, religion, etc.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
When the powers that be introduce a new set of laws designed to limit the individual's rights and have the audacity to call it The Patriot Act -  you know there' s some major smoke being blown up the public' s collective ass.....
When we had three TV stations and no Internet, the stories seemed to be essentially the same when things happened.

Now, with countless 'news' outlets and the Internet it seems that people are simply in a rush to cover a story, even if they make things up just to fill the gap.

Back in the day (yeah, I'm old) your average Joe didn't have the ability to air their suppositions. Now everyone with a cell phone can jump online and add their suspicions to an ever-growing list of explanations.

On one hand, instant notification of an event is a good thing. On the other hand the conspiracy theories pop up instantly and there are those who think that if they read/saw/heard it on the Internet, regardless of the source, it must be true.

People used to get their news around supper time and then about 10 pm or read it in the daily newspaper. Now it's everywhere all the time.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

The article makes a good case for the post Y2K uptick in misinformation.  I think the reason misinformation is able to take hold is that people are getting dumber.  Suckers everywhere, believing what they want to hear, thinking their magical thinking makes them special.
(September 28, 2022 at 7:30 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: To me, it seems that modern conspiracy thinking was shaped in the 90s with the movie JFK. I still can't believe what I hear today in interviews people praising that movie and that lunatic Oliver Stone. I mean, it was a mainstream movie and people just accepted it.

I remember even watching the episode of the TV show "Bones" where they were researching the JFK assassination of a lone gunman or several shooters, and to my amazement, they didn't conclude the episode for what I can only guess is that there are so many people believing the conspiracy that they didn't want to offend the big chunk of their audience.

Of course, what further shaped people's minds in the 90s was the X-Files where they were selling people week after week the notion that the American government is some sort of supernatural force which has no bounds to cover up anything from everyone in the world. I mean, I guess most people saw it as fun fictional entertainment, but if they didn't think it all through they got caught up in the 9/11 conspiracies.

But then again, maybe the major factor for deluding people were the usual suspects of those who sell biorhythm charts, horoscopes, religion, etc.

I suspect it's a supply and demand thing. That style of thinking provides utility of a sort to some people allowing them to profitably occupy niches in our modern political and social ecology that may not have existed or been as profitable prior to some event, invention, or both, perhaps multiple. And on the supply side, it's been immensely popular for charlatans like Alex Jones. In a way, it's not much different from religion. Religion postulates that hidden factors are at play in our lives, and if we possess and hold on to certain special knowledge about the deeper meaning of existence, we're better off for doing so.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]