Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 10:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fascism, communism and religious dictatorship
Fascism, communism and religious dictatorship
Here is my theory:

The basic principles of classical fascism, communism (Leninist / Maoist Communism) and religious dictatorship are basically the same. These are not entirely fear / Terror based forms of government. First they prey on the weak minded / poor and less educated layers of society. Fascism fools them though false ideas of patriotism and nationalism. Communism fools them through a certain sense of class-struggle, by demonizing upper layers of society and some foreign nations who are designated as the source of all evil, and religious dictatorship appeals also to very basic human instincts that may be entrenched in the traditions of a culture like “the honor of women” or “the gift of piousness” etc. None of these arguments are logical arguments. They are designed to resonate with the lizard-brain survival instincts of the lowest layers of society.
   This is stage one. Stage two is to use this “majority” and to say “All the İtalians want…”, “The united peoples of the Soviet Union believes in…”, “The Pious people of Turkey will never submit to…”. The rhetoric’s and the mechanisms are almost always the same. Everything is founded on the denial of reason, common sense, the international order and the basic principles like the supremacy of law or human rights for instance. For this very reason they have no chance of succeeding and what is sadder, they themselves know that they have no chance of succeeding.
   So stage three is to attempt to stay in power. For this they need an enemy. If they don’t have it they will create it. This helps to rally their hungered people and to show them a target without which the people would turn against the regime itself.
   Than there is usually a collapse of the regime. After which nations who have suffered the brutality of such regimes will usually not be willing to ever return to such regimes and will usually be very vigilant regarding such movements (as it is the case in Greece or in Germany for instance). Yet nations who haven’t experienced the horrors of such regimes firsthand will always have a tendency to think for instance that “economical issues are more important that democracy and human rights”.
RE: Fascism, communism and religious dictatorship
(October 10, 2022 at 2:56 pm)Leonardo17 Wrote: Here is my theory:

The basic principles of classical fascism, communism (Leninist / Maoist Communism) and religious dictatorship are basically the same. These are not entirely fear / Terror based forms of government. First they prey on the weak minded / poor and less educated layers of society. Fascism fools them though false ideas of patriotism and nationalism. Communism fools them through a certain sense of class-struggle, by demonizing upper layers of society and some foreign nations who are designated as the source of all evil, and religious dictatorship appeals also to very basic human instincts that may be entrenched in the traditions of a culture like “the honor of women” or “the gift of piousness” etc. None of these arguments are logical arguments. They are designed to resonate with the lizard-brain survival instincts of the lowest layers of society.
   This is stage one. Stage two is to use this “majority” and to say “All the İtalians want…”, “The united peoples of the Soviet Union believes in…”, “The Pious people of Turkey will never submit to…”. The rhetoric’s and the mechanisms are almost always the same. Everything is founded on the denial of reason, common sense, the international order and the basic principles like the supremacy of law or human rights for instance. For this very reason they have no chance of succeeding and what is sadder, they themselves know that they have no chance of succeeding.
   So stage three is to attempt to stay in power. For this they need an enemy. If they don’t have it they will create it. This helps to rally their hungered people and to show them a target without which the people would turn against the regime itself.
   Than there is usually a collapse of the regime. After which nations who have suffered the brutality of such regimes will usually not be willing to ever return to such regimes and will usually be very vigilant regarding such movements (as it is the case in Greece or in Germany for instance). Yet nations who haven’t experienced the horrors of such regimes firsthand will always have a tendency to think for instance that “economical issues are more important that democracy and human rights”.

Have you heard Umberto Eco's list of fascist characteristics? I have found this one useful.

The basic principles of classical fascism, communism (Leninist / Maoist Communism) and religious dictatorship(s) are basically the same.

Brevity is good.

[snip]

One thought - it is easier to read paragraphs if there is a space between them.

I disagree that nations who have suffered brutality never return to authoritarian rule.  Why did Russia return to dictatorship?

Freedom requires vigilance.  It requires guardrails throughout the institutions.  It requires a free and fair court system.  It requires a constitution and founding myth whereby people are willing to fight to keep freedom.  It requires citizens to take to the streets to demand their rights.

In countries where this has never existed, they can easily fall back into old ways.
I agree with you on these issues. But as I said, the loss of liberties happens in stages and some nations seem to know and recognize these stages better than others. In fact, no one can take away your freedom if you are not yourself willing to give it up in the first place. There has to be a fraction of your population who are already willing to trade this in return for a promise of a better economy etc. The Russians did not have an experience in any of this. They knew only communism since 1919. That’s three generations. The Ukrainians on the other hand have the memory of both Nazi and Soviet invasion. They know what it is like to not be free. And they have an experience of fighting for freedom.
Gorbatchev gave freedom to the Russian people. They didn’t earn it themselves. They didn’t have to fight for it. So they were less vigilant. And now they lost it.
I think that these things have a lower chance of success when they come from top to bottom. Like the American or the French Revolutions for instance. See, in Turkey almost all the guardrails were there. We had a free and fair court system, we a constitution, a secular education system, even the army was given the role of “preserving and maintaining the Turkish Democracy until it is able to walk on its own two feet”. Yet, since the very beginning I would say, there is this mass of people who are simply resisting democracy because democracy challenges their millennia-old habits of monarchic / feudal rule and society.
So I think it’s the same in Russia. They were used to a different system. They don’t understand the new system. So they hate it and they are looking for a savior. If they had fought to end communism (which they didn’t really do) I think there wouldn’t be any Putin.
I value piousness very highly, so a religious tyranny would be right up my alley.
"Imagination, life is your creation"
If you are pious, you would cut out that tongue of yours.
(October 15, 2022 at 12:29 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote: If you are pious, you would cut out that tongue of yours.

My tongue is my most valuable asset.
"Imagination, life is your creation"