Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] What are your overall opinions on people who are idiots in math?
What are your overall opinions on people who are idiots in math?
People have always considered me smart. At least most did. But I cannot, in good conscience, not admit that I'm abysmal in math. Like seriously. I am just terrible at it. If forced, I can do math, but I'm slow as heck in it.

I was told by a few educated people that certain individuals who tend to be great at either math or languages are usually abysmal on either while being great on the other. I guess I'm one of those people.

So... What do you think? Did I inherit bad math-brain chromosomes? Or am I just lazy when it comes to studying math? To be perfectly clear, I actually have a very sharp memory.
RE: What are your overall opinions on people who are idiots in math?
I think if you're bad at something academic, you should still understand its importance in the world. Just because it's not for you doesn't mean it's pointless to someone else. On a similar note, just because people think it's necessary for everyone doesn't make it true. Math just isn't for everyone, and that's okay.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
My oldest is a whiz when it comes to math...much better than I. When she was in elementary school, I was frustrated that she seemed to be unable to spell. I was told by a staff member at her school that is not unusual. Maybe for some it is either/or.

Might I ask why you feel the need to label every thread you start as 'serious'?

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(October 15, 2022 at 10:12 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: My oldest is a whiz when it comes to math...much better than I. When she was in elementary school, I was frustrated that she seemed to be unable to spell. I was told by a staff member at her school that is not unusual. Maybe for some it is either/or.

Hi! Thanks for posting.

My answer to your question... I have lots of experience in online communities where I'd ask a serious question only to be shitposted or trolled. I guess I developed a phobia or something? I'll stop it if required.
(October 15, 2022 at 10:19 pm)Gentle_Idiot Wrote:
(October 15, 2022 at 10:12 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: My oldest is a whiz when it comes to math...much better than I.  When she was in elementary school, I was frustrated that she seemed to be unable to spell.  I was told by a staff member at her school that is not unusual.  Maybe for some it is either/or.

Hi! Thanks for posting.

My answer to your question... I have lots of experience in online communities where I'd ask a serious question only to be shitposted or trolled. I guess I developed a phobia or something? I'll stop it if required.

I was just curious for the reason as the serious tag generally isn't used quite so much.  In a community there are various styles of give and take and the normal course of conversation is quite restricted by the serious tag.  In my opinion, overuse of it doesn't allow for as much interaction. YMMV

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(October 15, 2022 at 10:08 pm)Gentle_Idiot Wrote: People have always considered me smart. At least most did. But I cannot, in good conscience, not admit that I'm abysmal in math. Like seriously. I am just terrible at it. If forced, I can do math, but I'm slow as heck in it.

I was told by a few educated people that certain individuals who tend to be great at either math or languages are usually abysmal on either while being great on the other. I guess I'm one of those people.

So... What do you think? Did I inherit bad math-brain chromosomes? Or am I just lazy when it comes to studying math? To be perfectly clear, I actually have a very sharp memory.

Might be your chromosomes, might be a rubbish math teacher or curriculum in your childhood. Hard to know without a professional diagnosis.

There's a grain of truth to the notion that people are often stronger in languages or math. Two of the common modes* of thinking are verbal and conceptual. If your brain spends a lot of time in verbal mode then you'll likely have an edge at languages but find math harder. If you spend a lot of time in conceptual mode then math will be easier but you may find languages more challenging. That said, some people are brilliant at both or horrible at both.

*There's a lot of debate on exactly how many modes of thinking there are and how to group or split them, but you can make a fairly good argument for a split between verbal thinking that engages the languages centres of your brain and non-verbal thinking.
(October 16, 2022 at 12:34 am)Paleophyte Wrote:
(October 15, 2022 at 10:08 pm)Gentle_Idiot Wrote: People have always considered me smart. At least most did. But I cannot, in good conscience, not admit that I'm abysmal in math. Like seriously. I am just terrible at it. If forced, I can do math, but I'm slow as heck in it.

Might be your chromosomes, might be a rubbish math teacher or curriculum in your childhood. Hard to know without a professional diagnosis.

There's a grain of truth to the notion that people are often stronger in languages or math. Two of the common modes* of thinking are verbal and conceptual. If your brain spends a lot of time in verbal mode then you'll likely have an edge at languages but find math harder. If you spend a lot of time in conceptual mode then math will be easier but you may find languages more challenging. That said, some people are brilliant at both or horrible at both.

*There's a lot of debate on exactly how many modes of thinking there are and how to group or split them, but you can make a fairly good argument for a split between verbal thinking that engages the languages centres of your brain and non-verbal thinking.

Thanks bud. I at least have one of those two to lean on. I do feel sorry for those born without a talent for both. If there is a loving God, surely he would've made sure everyone had some fighting chance in intellectual pursuits...

Too bad he doesn't exist.
How do I feel about people who are poor at maths? They are my soulmates, my brothers in arms. These are the people I turn to for solace and comfort when things go pear-shaped, my rock of emotional stability in a world gone mad. These are my people.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 16, 2022 at 4:15 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: How do I feel about people who are poor at maths? They are my soulmates, my brothers in arms. These are the people I turn to for solace and comfort when things go pear-shaped, my rock of emotional stability in a world gone mad. These are my people.

Boru

Ah! Good to see another idiot in math! lol

Math also annoys the living hell out of me.
(October 16, 2022 at 4:19 am)Gentle_Idiot Wrote:
(October 16, 2022 at 4:15 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: How do I feel about people who are poor at maths? They are my soulmates, my brothers in arms. These are the people I turn to for solace and comfort when things go pear-shaped, my rock of emotional stability in a world gone mad. These are my people.

Boru

Ah! Good to see another idiot in math! lol

Math also annoys the living hell out of me.

Three kinds of people in the world, mate - those who understand mathematics and those who don't.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Math game Fake Messiah 47 3186 October 14, 2023 at 4:38 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  I hate math Woah0 5 1022 September 25, 2022 at 5:10 am
Last Post: Leonardo17
  Math problem that is driving the Internet crazy GrandizerII 49 6916 April 27, 2020 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: Smaug
  Explain the Math - Must Be Rocket Scientist to Participate. T0 Th3 M4X 13 1902 December 3, 2018 at 7:21 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Can you cut a cake fairly to solve this middle school math problem? Whateverist 82 13683 August 7, 2017 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Why Do You Like Math? Kernel Sohcahtoa 33 5894 February 5, 2017 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Great math interaction site for "beginners" (algebra, geometry, even calculus) GrandizerII 3 1457 October 20, 2016 at 10:48 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Can you solve this 6th grade math problem? pocaracas 52 10793 August 15, 2016 at 10:03 am
Last Post: wiploc
  Math Educations: who needs it, how much and when? Whateverist 49 13630 February 28, 2016 at 6:16 pm
Last Post: Chas
  Math suggestions Heat 25 5335 January 3, 2016 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain