Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prop FF
Prop FF
It’s official, Colorado voters passed Prop FF to give ALL public school students the option to eat two free school meals daily, regardless of their family’s income. No more shame, worry, or stigma, because a child doesn’t have money to eat. It is funded by cutting tax breaks for the wealthy.

Colorado Republicans: "This is communism pure and simple from the Eighth Dimension!"
RE: Prop FF
Growing up, my sister and I were part of the program where we could eat for free due to the poverty in which we lived. It was only when I was older that the embarrassment of the situation hit me, having to use the meal card which signified my situation, while those who had money used it.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(November 9, 2022 at 9:19 pm)Tomato Wrote: Growing up, my sister and I were part of the program where we could eat for free due to the poverty in which we lived. It was only when I was older that the embarrassment of the situation hit me, having to use the meal card which signified my situation, while those who had money used it.

It's that sense of entitlement that obviates the shame. Just so I'm clear, they did or did not use your card? I saw similar tactics when I was in school, except these programs did not exist, to my knowledge, and if they had, my dad would have forbad using them. Jocks picking up my lunch bag and remarking, "Their ain't enough in here to feed a bird!", to which I'd respond, "Well then, don't eat it!". Did I ever mention that I got in a lot of fights at school? I took no shit. Some of the chips in my teeth demonstrate this.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(November 9, 2022 at 10:45 pm)Fireball Wrote: Just so I'm clear, they did or did not use your card?

Do you mean did the lunch ladies accept the card? Of course they did. Never had a problem there or with my fellow classmates. I was never bullied or messed with in any way, despite being the loner, poor kid who wore hearing aids. If they ever talked about me behind my back, word never reached me in any way. Due to the lack of bullying experience, I kind of grew up in ignorance. Turns out I was just strangely lucky, because others around me were bullied. Even one older gay guy, whom I had a crush on, who got beat up in the locker room.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Karl Marx, in his Communist Manifesto, explicitly advocated, 1) an end to child labor, and 2) a national income tax.
(November 9, 2022 at 10:53 pm)Tomato Wrote:
(November 9, 2022 at 10:45 pm)Fireball Wrote: Just so I'm clear, they did or did not use your card?

Do you mean did the lunch ladies accept the card? Of course they did. Never had a problem there or with my fellow classmates. I was never bullied or messed with in any way, despite being the loner, poor kid who wore hearing aids. If they ever talked about me behind my back, word never reached me in any way. Due to the lack of bullying experience, I kind of grew up in ignorance. Turns out I was just strangely lucky, because others around me were bullied. Even one older gay guy, whom I had a crush on, who got beat up in the locker room.

I meant the rich kids using your card. I wasn't clear on that, I guess.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Even Right Wing Polls Can't Prop Up The WLB Minimalist 2 1093 May 30, 2017 at 8:42 pm
Last Post: chimp3