Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 9:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How real is Hypnotism?
How real is Hypnotism?
I am not susceptible to hypnotism.  I understand that 10 percent of the population is very suggestible. I see people go up on stage with a hypnotist and go under fast and show out of character behavior.    Research supports efficacy with smoking cessation.    What is it all about?  Anyone have good experience with it?
RE: How real is Hypnotism?
I have not, but, it's real and goes back prior to the days of Freud.
(November 23, 2022 at 4:03 pm)Jehanne Wrote: I have not, but, it's real and goes back prior to the days of Freud.

So is hypnotism communing with the unconscious mind without the conscious mind knowing about it?
It’s real, but it’s a state of suggestibility. It’s more at the subconscious mind.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 23, 2022 at 4:10 pm)Uberpod Wrote:
(November 23, 2022 at 4:03 pm)Jehanne Wrote: I have not, but, it's real and goes back prior to the days of Freud.

So is hypnotism communing with the unconscious mind without the conscious mind knowing about it?

An aspect of our mental lives is unconscious, as the experiments of Dr. Benjamin Libet proved, and, certainly, the power of suggestion exists, but I do not know of any expert who claims that the unconscious mind can be accessed directly, only that such exists in all of us and has profound influences in everything that we do and say.
(November 23, 2022 at 5:26 pm)Jehanne Wrote:
(November 23, 2022 at 4:10 pm)Uberpod Wrote: So is hypnotism communing with the unconscious mind without the conscious mind knowing about it?

An aspect of our mental lives is unconscious, as the experiments of Dr. Benjamin Libet proved, and, certainly, the power of suggestion exists, but I do not know of any expert who claims that the unconscious mind can be accessed directly, only that such exists in all of us and has profound influences in everything that we do and say.

Some experts doubt than an ‘unconscious mind’ (at least in the Freudian sense) even exists.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson