Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taoism
Taoism
[Image: screenshot-from-2022-12-30-05-45-22.png]
RE: Taoism
(December 30, 2022 at 9:48 am)LinuxGal Wrote: [Image: screenshot-from-2022-12-30-05-45-22.png]

I don't know anything about it except that it's pronounced with a d and not a t.
"Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture,  an intransigent mind, and a step that travels unlimited roads."

"The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody has decided not to see."
(December 30, 2022 at 11:53 pm)Objectivist Wrote: I don't know anything about it except that it's pronounced with a d and not a t.

Daojia is philosophical Daoism (Taoism).  The primary text is the Daodejing (Tao Te Ching) by Lao Tzu (the Old Guy) but Chuang Tzu (or Zhuangzi) and even Master Sun (Sun Tzu/Sun Tze) are important.

Daojiao is religious Taoism. The I Ching and the dualism of the Yin and Yang (Taijitu) is found under that rubric, along with ancestor worship and hankering after immortality and all that stuff is frankly not very Dao, if you ask around. Yoda might go for it.
(December 30, 2022 at 11:53 pm)Objectivist Wrote:
(December 30, 2022 at 9:48 am)LinuxGal Wrote: [Image: screenshot-from-2022-12-30-05-45-22.png]

I don't know anything about it except that it's pronounced with a d and not a t.

Can you give a short summary of the different branches of Taoism.  

For example, Objectivism:

Metaphysics:  Reality is an objective absolute and consciousness is the faculty that perceives and identifies it but doesn't create it. A is A, the law of identity rules everything, and its corollary, causality, is the identity of action.  Things act in certain ways and only in those ways and the action is determined by a thing's nature.  Existence has metaphysical primacy.  

Epistemology:  Reason.  Reason is man's only tool of knowledge and guide to action.  Reason is the faculty that identifies and integrates the material of the senses in the form of concepts.  Logic is the method of reason and is the art or skill of non-contradictory identification.  

Ethics:  Rational egoism.  Man, every man and woman, has a right to live for his or her own sake and happiness.  Life is the standard of value and a flourishing, happy life is the goal of ethics.  This is the opposite of the morality of self-sacrifice.  Man must achieve his happiness by rational means and neither sacrifice himself to others nor others to himself and he must never, ever initiate force against another.  

Politics:  Individualism, Laissez-faire capitalism.  Men and women must be left free, free from coercion by force, to think and produce and trade by peaceable voluntary exchange.  No man may obtain any value by the initiation of force.  The government's purpose is the protection of individual rights.  It stands ready to stop those who initiate force but it never initiates force itself.  

Aesthetics:  Romantic realism, a key premise is that man has free will.  It portrays what man can and ought to be and do with that free will.
"Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture,  an intransigent mind, and a step that travels unlimited roads."

"The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody has decided not to see."
Objectivism is appealing to those who are already successful and self-sufficient, and see community, family, society as a purely transactional construct. It is just another superficial "ism" that promises a utopia, but wouldn't actually work in its pure form.
Thromboangiitis Obliterans?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.