Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 8:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pitldown Man
Pitldown Man
In 1912, Charles Dawson and Arthur Smith Woodward announced the discovery of a mandible and part of a skull from a gravel pit near Piltdown, England. The mandible was apelike except for humanlike wear on the teeth; the skull was like a modern human. These bones became the basis for Eoanthropus dawsoni, commonly known as Piltdown Man, interpreted as a 500,000-year-old British ape-man. But in the early 1950s, it was found that the jawbone was stained and filed down to give its appearance and that the skull was a recent human fossil. In short, Piltdown Man was a fraud. British scientists believed it because they wanted to.

Source: Gish, Duane T., 1985. Evolution: The Challenge of the Fossil Record. El Cajon, CA: Creation-Life Publishers, pp. 188-190.

[Image: 1529833426974433280-ftspwasuaaabbpi.jpg]
RE: Pitldown Man
And let’s not forget that the forgery was perpetrated by a lawyer, not a scientist. Should have been a red flag.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Pitldown Man
Gould's essay in The Panda's Thumb, which is where I first learnt of this, is a good read, and makes th's OP does.e same point @LinuxGal