Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 3:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pioneer Plaques
Pioneer Plaques
[Image: 1538637671685181441-fvpwzhtuyaawdtc.jpg]

In 1972 and 1973, the two Pioneer spacecraft were sent out to explore the outer solar system. being the first human-built objects to be able to achieve escape velocity from our solar system, it was decided to include a message should any aliens intercept them.
Carl Sagan was approached to design a plaque with a message from humanity. Linda Sagan created the artwork, and the plaques were fixed to both spaceships. According to Robert Kramer's memoir, the original design contained a line indicating the labia on the figure, but it was erased in order to get approval for the artwork.
RE: Pioneer Plaques
Does every random thought you have merit a new thread? I could understand if it was something thought provoking or worthwhile, but these trivia tidbits are a little tiring.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 1, 2023 at 10:59 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Does every random thought you have merit a new thread? I could understand if it was something thought provoking or worthwhile, but these trivia tidbits are a little tiring.

Boru

Feel free to lay down some demerits.  Need something tangible to work with.
(January 1, 2023 at 11:17 am)LinuxGal Wrote:
(January 1, 2023 at 10:59 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Does every random thought you have merit a new thread? I could understand if it was something thought provoking or worthwhile, but these trivia tidbits are a little tiring.

Boru

Feel free to lay down some demerits.  Need something tangible to work with.

lol, nothing like that. It's just that most of your new threads would slot more or less neatly into existing threads. No one's implying that you're breaking any rules.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 1, 2023 at 11:55 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(January 1, 2023 at 11:17 am)LinuxGal Wrote: Feel free to lay down some demerits.  Need something tangible to work with.

lol, nothing like that. It's just that most of your new threads would slot more or less neatly into existing threads. No one's implying that you're breaking any rules.

Boru

This is what you get from me going out:

Zero new threads

Zero inline images

And the forum will be more to you and the other admin's liking, apparently.
(January 1, 2023 at 11:58 am)LinuxGal Wrote:
(January 1, 2023 at 11:55 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: lol, nothing like that. It's just that most of your new threads would slot more or less neatly into existing threads. No one's implying that you're breaking any rules.

Boru

This is what you get from me going out:

Zero new threads

Zero inline images

Are you a photographer, by any chance? I only ask because of the way you enlarge everything. No one said you shouldn't make new threads or post images.

Boru
(January 1, 2023 at 10:55 am)LinuxGal Wrote: According to Robert Kramer's memoir, the original design contained a line indicating the labia on the figure, but it was erased in order to get approval for the artwork.

Yeah, Sagan noted in one of his books how feminists protested to him that the woman in the plaque "doesn't have a vagina."
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
A vagina wouldn't be visible, just the yoni.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(January 1, 2023 at 12:31 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote:
(January 1, 2023 at 10:55 am)LinuxGal Wrote: According to Robert Kramer's memoir, the original design contained a line indicating the labia on the figure, but it was erased in order to get approval for the artwork.

Yeah, Sagan noted in one of his books how feminists protested to him that the woman in the plaque "doesn't have a vagina."

The aliens are going to have a hell of a time figuring that out!
(January 1, 2023 at 12:00 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(January 1, 2023 at 11:58 am)LinuxGal Wrote: This is what you get from me going out:

Zero new threads

Zero inline images

Are you a photographer, by any chance? I only ask because of the way you enlarge everything. No one said you shouldn't make new threads or post images.

Boru

Sure.

Warning Level: 25%