Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you hold the door for people?
Here is a question. Let's see how far this goes.

teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: Do you hold the door for people?
Yup, every time. Not only that, I call out people who DON’T hold the door for people.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Professor of Anthropology at Purdue noted that there people held the door as they went through. Next person took over and so on. Everybody gets the same treatment.
Sometimes
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Always.

And I say 'you're welcome' out loud to those who act like I was supposed to do it. Entitled jerks.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

The wide acceptance of bad public manners is a sign that a society is on the skids. People who don’t hold doors, who haven’t mastered the art of ‘please’ and ‘thank you’, people who scream at servers - these rat bastards need to be called out and confronted at every opportunity.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Normally I hold the door open for other people.  

But on a few special occasions I even add a bonus.   I hold it long enough for them to take it for granted that it will be held open until they pass, and then slam it closed in their faces, and then regret in a voice calculated to be loud enough to be heard through the still quivering closed door that it wasn’t quite on their faces.
Yes, but I've learned to ask first for someone with a disability etc.
Only for females and seniors.
<insert profound quote here>
(January 15, 2023 at 5:42 pm)John 6IX Breezy Wrote: Yes, but I've learned to ask first for someone with a disability etc.

I find it rather insensitive, if not ostentatiously “look at me”, to ask.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why is there people who bother people for no reason? Macoleco 6 1008 October 2, 2018 at 6:51 am
Last Post: Cod
  I am on hold for the USPS. Jehanne 4 411 February 5, 2018 at 3:23 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  When someone knocks on your front door when you're not expecting anyone. Edwardo Piet 60 8991 December 13, 2017 at 9:32 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  What to do when they knock on your door. Expired 59 8816 February 27, 2016 at 9:19 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  How do you deal with people who tell you you'll burn in hell? IanHulett 46 8557 February 10, 2015 at 1:11 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Am i going insane... someone hold me (Starts shaking on the ground) Richi1 12 3484 December 28, 2013 at 6:21 am
Last Post: Violet
  Planet X: 2012! Grab your bibles and hold on tight! Trojan 42 15690 September 18, 2009 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: Retorth