Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
It Costs Too Much To Make Record Coal Profits!
It Costs Too Much To Make Record Coal Profits!
Rand Paul Knows It, Do You?

Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
RE: It Costs Too Much To Make Record Coal Profits!
but..but..but..they are RICH. And everyone knows that only rich people give us jobs. So we should give them everything they want so that we can have a job.
Min's right, Rand Paul is a fucking scumbag. Also, I wonder which party coal miners generally vote for.

One of the comments made me chuckle, it's right out of A Modest Proposal:

Quote:I really get his point on keeping out regulation­s to keep coal costs down. If we would reinstitut­e child labor, we could pay them less and we could have them work in far smaller tunnels with teensy equipment that would also be less costly. And since they're young, it would probably take them quite a while to exhibit the full gamet of adverse health effects, hence a longer-las­ting labor force. We would also save money on public schools as they could be shut down entirely, and we could eliminate that annoying tax loophole for child care as all children would be occupied with gainful employment­. I admire Mr. Paul immensely, but I have to wonder why he always stops short of a full cost-cutti­ng argument.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
(April 7, 2011 at 4:33 pm)reverendjeremiah Wrote: but..but..but..they are RICH. And everyone knows that only rich people give us jobs. So we should give them everything they want so that we can have a job.

Aside from the obvious sarcasm;

This is a legitimate argument I have heard fascists and libertarians say and it's funny. The corporate aristocrats only care about your job just as long as it's making them money. That's business. So to say that they operate for the economy to prosper as a whole is delusional. They are looking out for their own asses. That's business.

We need to show these guys that business can be regulated against the minority and for the majority.

Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Quote:"There is a point or a balancing act between when a regulation becomes burdensome enough that our energy production is stifled. We have to assess the costs of regulation and whether they save lives."

There's one of them libertarian heroes speaking up again. Just as fucking worthless as any other type of republican.
The question is then this: 'how much is a common life worth?'

My understanding of the answer is "not much".
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(April 8, 2011 at 5:43 pm)Aerzia Saerules Arktuos Wrote: The question is then this: 'how much is a common life worth?'

Total human population of the world/human Population of the world in the upper class=Worth of the common human
(April 8, 2011 at 5:43 pm)Aerzia Saerules Arktuos Wrote: The question is then this: 'how much is a common life worth?'

Well, it really depends on your intent.

If you are thinking logically, then one human life is not worth as much as ten. In fact one human life could be easily thrown away for the lives of a small few.

Now do you understand why I say we should not deny our passions and emotions as well? Logic is great, and it works. But logic is inhuman as well.

Are you willing to sacrifice your own life for the lives of ten people you dispise? Logically, it doesnt matter whether you dispise them or not. The survival of the multitudes is more important than the individual.

I am no "Mr. Spock" atheist, as I like to call them. The ones who rail on and on about logic. Yeah, until they have to pay the price. Then suddenly logic is ignored.
Ashendant Wrote:Total human population of the world/human Population of the world in the upper class=Worth of the common human

Not to many rich people... humans are a readily available resource that is easily replaceable. Lots of people also have a grossly overinflated sense of self-worth (ie: I am worth many times more than others to me).

Reverend Wrote:Now do you understand why I say we should not deny our passions and emotions as well? Logic is great, and it works. But logic is inhuman as well.

Are you willing to sacrifice your own life for the lives of ten people you dispise? Logically, it doesnt matter whether you dispise them or not. The survival of the multitudes is more important than the individual.

I am no "Mr. Spock" atheist, as I like to call them. The ones who rail on and on about logic. Yeah, until they have to pay the price. Then suddenly logic is ignored.

I meant to convey that it was my understanding of the answer by the rich, apologies for the very misleading unintentional omission.

But I also agree with all of this. Every person has their own value of ten strangers... my value of that is relatively low, though I try to be auspicious towards them usually.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Pragmatically, an average life is worth about as much as the trouble it would cost you to take it. The long term trend of western civilization has been to making it more costly to take a life born. The republicans lay the disingenuous smoke screen of right to life to divert attention from their real interest in reversing the progress of western civilization and greatly reduce the cost of taking a life already born.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a continent in history where Britain never went too? Sweden83 21 1039 December 5, 2020 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  I’m sick of the far left too Losty 93 3738 November 27, 2018 at 11:17 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Does the media give too Trump too much attention GODZILLA 9 1270 October 21, 2018 at 3:04 am
Last Post: Jade-Green Stone
  Seven states bar people with a criminal record from receiving victim's compensation Angrboda 34 2220 September 23, 2018 at 5:16 am
Last Post: viocjit
  Too bad we can't make a pilgrimage from 'Murica Foxaèr 8 1031 September 9, 2018 at 8:06 am
Last Post: brewer
  Yeah, we Know. Pence Is A Piece of Shit, Too Minimalist 0 557 July 29, 2018 at 6:20 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Okay GOP, now is your time to shine and show how much you really love America GODZILLA 25 2950 July 17, 2018 at 9:22 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why are those who support Trump defending him so much GODZILLA 14 1634 June 14, 2018 at 8:00 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Us Too, Shitstain. Minimalist 7 861 June 4, 2018 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Philosophy of Politics. UK has too much pussies nowadays too : 3 Duriu 7 1484 May 6, 2018 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist