Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Telescope.
My Telescope.
My mom got me a telescope for my 33rd Birthday this year:
[Image: 1995046c6275bf1d6625b047b89ba71539af00f1.jpg]

Took this picture when my telescope was mounted in my room:
[Image: 2e60bae38a0af775e3b29df0dcc2a5aa1a8f86c6.jpg]

Shot of the topside from when my telescope was mounted in my back yard:
[Image: 8379fad15349444b769eb2d33d7917c3323d8c5a.jpg]

Eclipse filter attachment actually revealed more details. Shitty cam from shitty new phone doesn’t do it justice:
[Image: ecfc62b97c68639e3609ac94a2ff3ffcdcfa9f77.jpg]
[Image: 6QOh5df.jpg]
RE: My Telescope.
I was given this one the last time halley's was coming around:

[Image: post-9291-14073048423333.jpg]

It's been lost over time. To many moves.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Still trying to suss out how to hook the camera up to mine:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSpvLzBBmRNegdfTpu3KNg...A&usqp=CAU]

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
My first telescope was a 3" Tasco Refractor with a wooden tripod. It came in a wooden chest, which I discarded after building my first observatory. I used my observatory for a few years, then had to lock it up while I served in the army. It had deteriorated over time and, when I returned from Vietnam for the last time, I built a new observatory with a fiberglass dome. I upgraded my telescope with a clock drive and made a pedestal mount in the machine shop where I worked. My observatory was featured in a half-page article in a local newspaper during the late 1980's. The article included lunar and solar photos I had taken, as well as pictures of Comet West (1976).
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
Jakalope should be here for this.

@Jackalope
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I bought a polar tracking mount that worked reasonably well with 35mm DSLR, 500mm f/5.6 telephoto lens and 1.4 teleconverter.    The combination isn’t enough to fill the frame with the moon but is enough to support long exposures and pick out Triangulum and whirlpool galaxies,
(June 30, 2023 at 7:22 pm)brewer Wrote: I was given this one the last time halley's was coming around:

[Image: post-9291-14073048423333.jpg]

It's been lost over time. To many moves.

This looks absolutely beautiful. It's a shame that it was lost to time.

(June 30, 2023 at 7:40 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Still trying to suss out how to hook the camera up to mine:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSpvLzBBmRNegdfTpu3KNg...A&usqp=CAU]

Boru

Did you try unplugging it and plugging it back in again.

(June 30, 2023 at 7:44 pm)Gwaithmir Wrote: My first telescope was a 3" Tasco Refractor with a wooden tripod. It came in a wooden chest, which I discarded after building my first observatory. I used my observatory for a few years, then had to lock it up while I served in the army. It had deteriorated over time and, when I returned from Vietnam for the last time, I built a new observatory with a fiberglass dome. I upgraded my telescope with a clock drive and made a pedestal mount in the machine shop where I worked. My observatory was featured in a half-page article in a local newspaper during the late 1980's. The article included lunar and solar photos I had taken, as well as pictures of Comet West (1976).

That sounds amazing and is just an home made astronomer's dream. Is there any way I can read the article?

(June 30, 2023 at 8:33 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote: I bought a polar tracking mount that worked reasonably well with 35mm DSLR, 500mm f/5.6 telephoto lens and 1.4 teleconverter.    The combination isn’t enough to fill the frame with the moon but is enough to support long exposures and pick out Triangulum and whirlpool galaxies,

Just google what that is. I knew there are devices to hook up camera/phone cameras to telescope but I never thought there were ones to specifically enhance the lens of cameras. For me I had to stand with my phone over the eyepiece and try to line it up and stay still at the same time. I was just easier for me to take video and then take screenshots of the one frame of the video that I was able to get a good picture.
[Image: 6QOh5df.jpg]
Yes, telecomverter is a cheap way to get greater focal length, but sacrifices aperture and some image quality.    Camera telephoto lenses are not really well suited nor economical for deep sky photography because even long telephoto lenses normally don’t have the focal length to resolve fine details in planets or deep sky objects, and their costs are high for the focal length they provide because ordinary photography demands many type of image correction that would be of little consequence to amateur astrophotography.

But I am a hobby photographer so I already have the lenses, so it made sense to use them for the purpose.
@Anomalocaris

Quote:Did you try unplugging it and plugging it back in again.

Sheesh. You sound just like those snobs at tech support. Smile

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
When do you start searching Uranus for Klingons?