Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Habitica
Habitica
Have you heard of this app?

I'm really enjoying it. Basically, for those not in the know, it's a productivity app that is set up like a game. You have a little avatar/character and you can buy gear for him, level him up, buy pets and such, by keeping up with your personal list of habits and daily tasks. If you don't do some of the things on your list, your guy will lose health points depending upon the value of difficulty the task is. You can purchase in game stuff to get more side stuff but none of the necessary stuff in the game costs any real money, those things are simply extra.

You can also join quests and challenges with other players but that is also not necessary and is simply an extra feature for those who like community.

I've struggled with habit apps in the past and find I respond better with it set up like a game like this. It helps me stay on task.

RE: Habitica
(July 20, 2023 at 8:21 am)Ten Wrote: Have you heard of this app?

I'm really enjoying it. Basically, for those not in the know, it's a productivity app that is set up like a game. You have a little avatar/character and you can buy gear for him, level him up, buy pets and such, by keeping up with your personal list of habits and daily tasks. If you don't do some of the things on your list, your guy will lose health points depending upon the value of difficulty the task is. You can purchase in game stuff to get more side stuff but none of the necessary stuff in the game costs any real money, those things are simply extra.

You can also join quests and challenges with other players but that is also not necessary and is simply an extra feature for those who like community.

I've struggled with habit apps in the past and find I respond better with it set up like a game like this. It helps me stay on task.

That sounds neat. I was using a spreadsheet to track my habits which I would review with my ILS worker each week, but I've kind of let that slide. The only problem is that I don't use my phone much. I've tried using Android apps with Windows' Android Subsystem for Windows, but I've yet to figure out how to interact with apps, as they're designed for a touchscreen which the computer is not.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(July 20, 2023 at 9:21 am)Angrboda Wrote: That sounds neat. I was using a spreadsheet to track my habits which I would review with my ILS worker each week, but I've kind of let that slide. The only problem is that I don't use my phone much. I've tried using Android apps with Windows' Android Subsystem for Windows, but I've yet to figure out how to interact with apps, as they're designed for a touchscreen which the computer is not.

I've tried lots of things, yeah(habit logs in book form, habit logs in simple checklist apps and calenders, whiteboards, etc.). Nothing really sticks. I just started Habitica so hopefully it can maintain my attention long term. I didn't do some things yesterday and it hurt my lil dude, and although not terribly upsetting, it did frustrate my efforts to build up combos by having long streaks on those certain to do items.

I'm not sure how the game would work on a non-mobile device. But I hope you're able to try it.

I wish they used gamification more often, especially in social media.
I tend to resist anything that might make me more organized or productive. Fuck dat.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson