Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:05 pm

Poll: Atheists only: Do you believe in the possiblity that ghosts may exist?
This poll is closed.
Yes, it's possible.
23.08%
3 23.08%
No, there's always a logical explanation for so-called "hauntings."
76.92%
10 76.92%
Total 13 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
No God - No Boogeyman?
Star 
No God - No Boogeyman?
So yeah, this isn't a thread for you religious fools. I'd really like to know what the atheists have to say about this, mostly cause of my own curiosity ... I've never asked the question before.

My wife and I were watching that show on AMC called, A Haunting. It's a documentary series about people who have experienced paranormal activity in their own homes. My wife said she believed "ghosts" could exist even though she is undecided on the existance of God - claiming the two are not connected. So, my question: Are there those amoung you atheists that believe that it may be possible for a human being to become a "ghost" despite the fact that you don't believe in the existance of a God?

("ghost" being defined loosely as the spirit of a formerly alive human trapped between life and death and able to occasionally make his presence known by unnatural means)
Hmm, did I hit a nerve??
No one seems to want to touch this.
[Image: Evolution.png]

RE: No God - No Boogeyman?
Philosophy tangent hidden.

Quote:Hmm, did I hit a nerve??
No one seems to want to touch this.

Not a nerve here, well maybe a small nerve in my philosophies, but nothing serious.

Don't be surprised if people don't touch something for an hour, it's for a day that you should be worried Tongue

Quote:So yeah, this isn't a thread for you religious fools. I'd really like to know what the atheists have to say about this, mostly cause of my own curiosity ... I've never asked the question before.

Religious people are not necessarily fools. Not a whole lot is what I have to say about ghosts. I've never seen one in life, and have faith that I never will, and also faith that nobody else ever will.

Quote:My wife and I were watching that show on AMC called, A Haunting. It's a documentary series about people who have experienced paranormal activity in their own homes. My wife said she believed "ghosts" could exist even though she is undecided on the existance of God - claiming the two are not connected. So, my question: Are there those amoung you atheists that believe that it may be possible for a human being to become a "ghost" despite the fact that you don't believe in the existance of a God?

Yes, there are atheists that think this. I am not one of them though.

Quote:("ghost" being defined loosely as the spirit of a formerly alive human trapped between life and death and able to occasionally make his presence known by unnatural means)

Firstly, it is natural. 'Unnatural' has meaning only when a thing cannot happen and does. Which isn't possible of course, so unnatural is a word to describe the impossible.

Secondly, why do you presume that they are trapped, in a position between life and death (i would argue they are alive, others would say they are dead), and why only occasionally?

Thirdly, I don't actually care about the subject. I'm settled in my position with the gods, and so with ghosts. I'll certainly discuss it if you insist, but my position is not going to be changing any time soon. Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Quote:Not a whole lot is what I have to say about ghosts. I've never seen one in life, and have faith that I never will, and also faith that nobody else ever will.

This is the only answer I was looking for ... you clearly do not believe in the existance of ghosts - which of course leads one to wonder why in the hell you would bring up these two little gems:
Quote:Firstly, it is natural. 'Unnatural' has meaning only when a thing cannot happen and does. Which isn't possible of course, so unnatural is a word to describe the impossible.

Secondly, why do you presume that they are trapped, in a position between life and death (i would argue they are alive, others would say they are dead), and why only occasionally?

Why even debate what a ghost "is or isn't" if you don't believe in their existance. It's pointless. Besides I was only giving a LOOSE definition so people could answer the question without turning it into a battle of semantics.

Quote:Thirdly, I don't actually care about the subject. I'm settled in my position with the gods, and so with ghosts. I'll certainly discuss it if you insist, but my position is not going to be changing any time soon. Smile

I have no interest whatsover in changing your viewpoints about a subject so unimportant as the existance of ghosts. Or anyone's viewpoints for that matter. It's simply a yes or no question, which I don't believe you even bothered to answer via the Poll. And by the way ... that "natural vs. unnatural" argument you made is rediculous. It's all perspective and I CLEARLY was coming from the perspective of a normal living human being witnessing something that is not NATURALLY seen in this plane of existence. Way to nit-pick something that has no relevance to the original question.

There "can" be ghosts just like there "can" be a God...you can't prove there arn't. It's not really the right question to ask in my opinion.

I'll nit-pick things that are quite relevant to a *discussion*. People answering yes and no is quite dull, and has little place in a discussion forum.
Humans love to invent ways to scare the shit out of themselves.

I dont buy into it one bit...its all stories ..humans can be deluded and WANT ghosts to exist because it means that death isnt final, so they have intent behind spreading them.
I will beleive it when I see it.
(April 11, 2011 at 11:07 pm)ib.me.ub Wrote: I will beleive it when I see it.

Not that I have any intention of changine your viewpoint, but just to make sure I understand you correctly ib.me.ub - you're saying that you think all the "documented haunting cases" that you've ever heard of are either fabrications or misdiagnosed explainable events??
Aerzia you honestly do seem very intelligent and I probably would agree with you on many other varied points.

However, in this case I can only see a hollow victory for me in debating you on such trivial things concerning such a pointless question. As I stated before, it was merely a question of curiousity ... Do atheists believe in ghosts? Therefore, I digress. Perhaps we can debate something a little more substantial at another time.

Cinjin Cain Wrote:However, in this case I can only see a hollow victory for me in debating you on such trivial things concerning such a pointless question. As I stated before, it was merely a question of curiousity ... Do atheists believe in ghosts? Therefore, I digress. Perhaps we can debate something a little more substantial at another time.

Very well, using the definition of existence that you appear to be using: No, I do not believe in ghosts Smile

Quote:Aerzia you honestly do seem very intelligent and I probably would agree with you on many other varied points.

'I'm just an old woman, I know nothing of blights and darkspawn.' ^_^

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19411 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie