Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 4:14 am

Poll: Do you think there is a correlation between handwriting styles and personality?
This poll is closed.
Yes, it's a good indication of personality.
0%
0 0%
Not at all, this is 100% pseudoscience.
54.55%
6 54.55%
Some of it may be true, to a certain extent, but not everything.
45.45%
5 45.45%
Total 11 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Graphology
Graphology
Graphology is the study and analysis of handwriting samples to determine the personality and/or the mental aspects of the writers. Graphologists believe that there is a correlation between one's character and how he or she writes (including things like the slant of the writing, the pressure, spacing, size of the letters, the crossing of the "t"s and dotting the "i"s, etc). For example:

Narrow letters = shyness
Square letters = technical and mechanical knowledge
Angular letters - quick and clever
Enrolled loops = greed and egoism
Weak dots on the "i" = lack of energy and vitality
Missing dots on the "i" = laziness or carelessness
Inflated loops on the "g"s and "y"s = strong sexual desires
Large capital letters = boastfulness
Small and sharp writing = maliciousness/vengefulness

The question is: Do you think that there is any truth to this at all? Do you think that your own handwriting reflects your character (in some ways)?
RE: Graphology
No, there is absolutely no good scientific evidence that there is a correlation between personality and handwriting.

Despite this, graphology is used by some companies to evaluate job applications, and more worryingly it's employed by some police forces.

But hey, it could be worse, I mean imagine if you could get homeopathy on the NHS! Oh, wait...
Galileo was a man of science oppressed by the irrational and superstitious. Today, he is used by the irrational and superstitious who claim they are being oppressed by science - Mark Crislip
Rayaan Wrote:The question is: Do you think that there is any truth to this at all? Do you think that your own handwriting reflects your character (in some ways)?

Yes. I write sloppy as hell and as hastily as I can. More measured people write both slower and neater.

However, some of those things are entirely moronic (inflated loops = sex drive? Why don't *I* have any inflated loops?!)
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
When I write, I rarely put the dot on the "i" because most of the time I can't be bothered doing the dot there mainly because no one really cares when I put a dot. But I guess I'm just too damn lazy to put one.

I also have small and sharp writing... but I'm pretty sure I'm not malicious or vengeful... oh well if it says so, off to create a revenge plot!

Quote:"I think it's perfectly possible to explain how the universe came about without bringing God into it, but I don't know everything, and there may well be a God somewhere, hiding away. Actually, if he is keeping out of sight, it's because he's ashamed of his followers and all the cruelty and ignorance they're responsible for promoting in his name. If I were him, I'd want nothing to do with them."
— Philip Pullman
Jerky writing = Jerking off with the other hand.
I have at least four writing styles....all different. dots over "i"s are all different as are the "j"s ; I can write fast or slow as it pleases me.....this is what leads me to think that this is strictly pseudoscience more like wishful thinking.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(April 11, 2011 at 4:17 pm)lilphil1989 Wrote: Despite this, graphology is used by some companies to evaluate job applications, and more worryingly it's employed by some police forces.

Yeah, it would be really sad if we judged people's character just by their handwriting. I mean, there's so much more to look at.

(April 11, 2011 at 8:57 pm)Jax Wrote: I also have small and sharp writing... but I'm pretty sure I'm not malicious or vengeful... oh well if it says so, off to create a revenge plot!

So this proves that this is wrong since you're not malicious.
I also read that small letters indicate concentration and a good perception of details. But again, that could be wrong also. Tongue

(April 12, 2011 at 2:39 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: I have at least four writing styles....all different. dots over "i"s are all different as are the "j"s ; I can write fast or slow as it pleases me.....this is what leads me to think that this is strictly pseudoscience more like wishful thinking.

If that's the case, then a graphologist might say that you have a multiple personality disorder ...
(April 12, 2011 at 3:03 am)Rayaan Wrote:

(April 12, 2011 at 2:39 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: I have at least four writing styles....all different. dots over "i"s are all different as are the "j"s ; I can write fast or slow as it pleases me.....this is what leads me to think that this is strictly pseudoscience more like wishful thinking.

If that's the case, then a graphologist might say that you have a multiple personality disorder ...

I would say we ALL do rayaan, and the graphologist as well. It isn't an exact "pseudoscience"
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5