Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Superstitions
Superstitions
Considering we're all(mostly) Atheists here, is anyone willing to admit that they have any superstitions and/or personal rituals that you adhere too? Anyone have a lucky number, or an unlucky number?
I've got so many it's hard to remember them all, but I'll start with this one.
My lucky number is 9, has been since I was a kid playing little league baseball.
RE: Superstitions
I've been a bookkeeper for many years. I still depend on a physical calendar and that serves me well though some think I need to move to a digital method. But my superstition is that I never, ever cross off a day till it's done. Even if it's a weekend or I will be on vacation or it's a holiday. The day isn't over till it's over.

Not sure where I got that from but I have done it for more years than I can remember.

On the rare occasion that I accidentally line through a day...yes, I will erase it.

The only thing that I can think of it that when I took my Golden Retriever to my dad for shots years ago he asked the dog's age. I said he will be three in...couple months, whatever it was. Dad responded with. "He's two until he's three". That may have filtered in deep within my brain.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

I have a particular flat cap I wear when I play poker. If I wear it, I play better. It doesn’t matter that the hat has no magic powers.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I don't date guys with the number 5 in their name.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
On the 3rd Wednesday of every month, I knock 3 times, eat 3 infants, 3 kittens, and 3 puppies.
Not really a superstition, but many things in my life have been either number 9 or a multiple of 9.
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(August 2, 2023 at 7:12 pm)MR. Macabre 666 Wrote: Considering we're all(mostly) Atheists here, is anyone willing to admit that they have any superstitions and/or personal rituals that you adhere too? Anyone have a lucky number, or an unlucky number?
I've got so many it's hard to remember them all, but I'll start with this one.
My lucky number is 9, has been since I was a kid playing little league baseball.

Without quite admitting it, I tend to avoid the number 4. 

This is a Japanese superstition, since both 4 and "death" are pronounced "shi."

Like I wouldn't go out of my way, but given the choice I'd rather buy three or five of something. 

(I also have the unshakeable feeling that even numbers are soft but odd numbers are crisp, which I guess isn't a superstition but tends to influence me.)
I read my horoscope in the free local paper every week before throwing it away. I have ADHD, so, I generally do not remember whatever it says about the week, almost as soon as I toss it out. So I don't/I am unable to adequately keep track of the hits and misses.

But I don't believe it at my core either. I can see and reverse engineer how the writer got the specific horoscope for mine. During February, there's a lot about surprises, commitments, and relationships. During November and December, since Leo's are typically extroverts(I am not, by the by) the writer will put things like "you're going to be a host of a big event with lots of friends and family". No. No I won't. You would need to strap me down and drug me to get me to hold a party or host an event.

Anyway there's little things like that where obviously the writer was sitting at their cubicle in the local newsroom with a description of characteristics of each zodiac sign and a trending calender right in front of them. And they went, "here's what seems most likely...." creative writing.

I do occasionally get a superstitious spooky feeling, like "oh. Actually. THIS one sounds like it might fit for me and what is going on lately..." Anytime that happens, I imagine the writer in their little cubicle in the back corner of this cramped room, with stale coffee and a deadline, and I remember how sure they were that I, with my aversion to ATTENDING such things, thought I was going to HOST Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner for a big family. And I chuckle to myself and toss the paper into the bin we use to collect burnables. I tend to use the local circular they put in the mailbox as a starter for the burn barrel.

(August 3, 2023 at 8:28 am)zebo-the-fat Wrote: Not really a superstition, but many things in my life have been either number 9 or a multiple of 9.

The number 9 has been a "lucky", or constant part of my life since I was in the 4th grade. When the little league season started, we had to pick numbers out of a hat to decide what number you'd have on your uniform. I picked out the number 9 three years in a row.
It was also my number every year I played football, and shows up in my life on a regular basis. So does the number 3, which of course equals 9 when it's squared. So any number divisible by 3 would be my "lucky" numbers.
I pissed on my father's grave. Supposed to keep the dead in the ground.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  China has it's own superstitions. Brian37 14 2779 October 3, 2013 at 12:17 am
Last Post: Brian37