Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Placebo Magick
Placebo Magick
I've dabbled with placebo magick in the past, and found it a little fun.
Anyone else played with make-believe magick?
RE: Placebo Magick
I do it All. The. Frigging. Time. Big Grin

I'm a magick fangrrl from way, waaay back (1960s) and did some pretty serious studies in Western occultism in my 20s - Aleister Crowley, Israel Regardie, Dion Fortune in particular.

Nowadays I'm more of a magick-as-psychology-and-social-engineering proponent.  My home decor does feature an altar with the standard "four elements" implements (wand, cup, pentacle, knife) and some other shiny bling.
(August 15, 2023 at 10:37 am)FrustratedFool Wrote: I've dabbled with placebo magick in the past, and found it a little fun.
Anyone else played with make-believe magick?

I have no idea what that is. Can you elucidate?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Placebo magick is magick that believes that the supernatural doesn't exist, and that any and all magick practices are just to gain the benefit of the placebo effect, or for aesthetic or social value.
(August 15, 2023 at 1:15 pm)FrustratedFool Wrote: Placebo magick is magick that believes that the supernatural doesn't exist, and that any and all magick practices are just to gain the benefit of the placebo effect,  or for aesthetic or social value.

Whatever gets you through the night, I suppose.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Basically.
Since the placebo effect works even when you know its a placebo, weirdly, it's just a small extra way to add something to life.
I perform actual magic,
When I enter a room, everyone disappears.
(August 15, 2023 at 1:28 pm)FrustratedFool Wrote: Basically.
Since the placebo effect works even when you know its a placebo, weirdly, it's just a small extra way to add something to life.

I was gifted a set of rune stones when I was a kid. They were supposed to be used for fortune telling, but I just winged them at my brothers.

Boru
The fortune those stones were casting was, "BE ALERT!"

So, in a way, they worked.
(August 15, 2023 at 1:36 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I was gifted a set of rune stones when I was a kid. They were supposed to be used for fortune telling, but I just winged them at my brothers.

"No, really, Mom - I was just passing along a message from Allfather Oðinn..."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Dark Side of the Placebo Effect thesummerqueen 2 1404 September 15, 2011 at 11:19 pm
Last Post: orogenicman