Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Every person is religious
Every person is religious
I think every person has a religious impulse inside of them. For a lot of people, this impulse maifests as one of many known world religions. For others, such as atheists, this impulse manifests in different ways. I don't think this means every person is spiritual. It is possible to be "spiritual and religious" or "religious but not spiritual" but never "spiritual but not religious"
"Imagination, life is your creation"
RE: Every person is religious
The last thing in me wasn't a religious impulse...
Dying to live, living to die.
(September 4, 2023 at 12:28 am)Ahriman Wrote: I think every person has a religious impulse inside of them. For a lot of people, this impulse maifests as one of many known world religions. For others, such as atheists, this impulse manifests in different ways. I don't think this means every person is spiritual. It is possible to be "spiritual and religious" or "religious but not spiritual" but never "spiritual but not religious"

Yeah, and I'm King Isildur!
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
(September 4, 2023 at 12:28 am)Ahriman Wrote: I think every person has a religious impulse inside of them. For a lot of people, this impulse maifests as one of many known world religions. For others, such as atheists, this impulse manifests in different ways. I don't think this means every person is spiritual. It is possible to be "spiritual and religious" or "religious but not spiritual" but never "spiritual but not religious"

You didn't explain how are atheists religious or why do you think atheists are religious.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(September 4, 2023 at 1:19 am)Fake Messiah Wrote:

You didn't explain how are atheists religious or why do you think atheists are religious.

Ideologies. An atheist’s world view can be shaped by an ideology just as much as an Abrahamist’s world view can be shaped by Islam, Judaism, or Christianity.
Many people have a religious impulse.
Many people have an ideological impulse.

These sorts arrange their lives according to some symbolic system and metanarrative - whether Marxism, Christianity, aestheticism, Islam, whatever.

Many have no such impulse. They live without really caring whatsoever about such things, and without having any consistent framework or worldview.

That’s very nice.
(September 4, 2023 at 2:29 am)FrustratedFool Wrote: Many people have a religious impulse.
Many people have an ideological impulse.

These sorts arrange their lives according to some symbolic system and metanarrative - whether Marxism, Christianity, aestheticism, Islam,  whatever.

Many have no such impulse.  They live without really caring whatsoever about such things, and without having any consistent framework or worldview.

Well I hate people regardless of what they believe so I guess it doesn't really matter. That's what I'm getting at.

Wrong!

You’ve been brainwashed/indoctrinated to want to believe in god instead of the truth.

(September 4, 2023 at 2:01 am)Ahriman Wrote: Ideologies. An atheist’s world view can be shaped by an ideology just as much as an Abrahamist’s world view can be shaped by Islam, Judaism, or Christianity.

Yeah, I don't know if everybody has a religious instinct, in the sense of metaphysical beliefs. 

But I agree with you that everybody signs up for an ideology -- whether they acknowledge it or not. 

Then the ideologies form into camps, with ours being better and obviously correct, and other people's being deluded and headed for some kind of demise -- either damnation or just fading away as a laughing stock as the world becomes smarter. 

The in-group/out-group thing seems unavoidable.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Reason Jesus must have been a real person mrj 74 10174 March 5, 2021 at 6:44 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Every f-ing year JWs knock on my door. Brian37 62 5505 July 10, 2019 at 11:51 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Every Apologetic Argument Ever YahwehIsTheWay 21 2656 December 1, 2018 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  You can be an immorale person and still promote christianity Kimba 12 1787 June 30, 2018 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  I am a better person than God! chimp3 56 10359 May 24, 2018 at 1:07 am
Last Post: chimp3
  The Consistent Asshole Answer to Every Problem Minimalist 3 1841 June 17, 2016 at 9:37 am
Last Post: tacebotedo
  God is not a person, just a thermodynamically inefficient process. Ksa 17 4724 December 21, 2013 at 1:23 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Religious moderates enable religious extremists worldslaziestbusker 82 32895 October 24, 2013 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Optimistic Mysanthrope
  If you know a person was truthful his whole life and of high moral character... Mystic 36 22459 March 9, 2012 at 3:19 am
Last Post: Mystic
  Support for JC as a real person Rokcet Scientist 4 1663 December 10, 2011 at 10:56 am
Last Post: Minimalist