Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
eBay Auction
eBay Auction
My girlfriend got this one in a few seconds; can you?

"At an eBay auction, a woman's ring and a jewelry box are on sale for $200. The jewelry box is valued at $190 more than the ring. How much is the ring worth?"
RE: eBay Auction
$5.....
$5 ?
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
There is no way of knowing what it is worth from the information you provided. You can only figure out what it is on sale for. Given that I do not know the cost of an auction on ebay, I cannot tell you even that.
But 190 more than 5 is 195. 200 - 195 = 5.
(April 14, 2011 at 7:35 pm)Shell B Wrote: There is no way of knowing what it is worth from the information you provided. You can only figure out what it is on sale for. Given that I do not know the cost of an auction on ebay, I cannot tell you even that.
For this problem, assume that the items are selling for the exact amount they are worth, and that the auction costs do not come into it.
(April 14, 2011 at 7:23 pm)Tiberius Wrote: My girlfriend got this one in a few seconds; can you?

"At an eBay auction, a woman's ring and a jewelry box are on sale for $200. The jewelry box is valued at $190 more than the ring. How much is the ring worth?"
Odds are, what whoever manufactured the box and ring and whoever has the highest bid have different conceptions of what the value is. Thus, it is impossible to tell what the recommended combined price would be from this information.

However, assuming that they are both on the same level:
2X+190=200
2X=10
X=5
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
$10 is my answer because 200-190=10.
I know the answer can't possibly = $10. Big Grin
Are Chuck and I not correct then? Confusedhock: