Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Christian friends
My Christian friends
I live in a small Cotswold Town (in England). Most days I frequent a Christian Bookshop/Cafe. My conversations with the people there are often very challenging. Several people in the cafe recently insisted that God created the universe just as it says in Genesis. Now these people are not stupid ... they show no signs of having any form of mental illness or dementia. I say to them: "I don't believe that you actually believe what you say you believe". They then bombard me with anti theory of evolution stuff. They have smiles on their faces as they do so ... they are enjoying themselves. They tell me that if I don't believe in Jesus I'll go to hell when I die.

My perception of them is that they are lying. I say to them: "Why should I believe you? You might be lying".

They just smile.

Despite this I'm always welcome there .. the food is cheap and wholesome.

It has crossed my mind: What would it be like if these people were running the country? How would they behave?
RE: My Christian friends
(November 20, 2023 at 6:58 pm)SeniorCitizen Wrote: I live in a small Cotswold Town (in England). Most days I frequent a Christian Bookshop/Cafe. My conversations with the people there are often very challenging. Several people in the cafe recently insisted that God created the universe just as it says in Genesis. Now these people are not stupid ... they show no signs of having any form of mental illness or dementia. I say to them: "I don't believe that you actually believe what you say you believe". They then bombard me with anti theory of evolution stuff. They have smiles on their faces as they do so ... they are enjoying themselves. They tell me that if I don't believe in Jesus I'll go to hell when I die.

My perception of them is that they are lying. I say to them: "Why should I believe you? You might be lying".

They just smile.

It has crossed my mind: What would it be like if these people were running the country? How would they behave?

It’s pretty plain how they’d behave.

-De-emphasize science education.

-Ban books that make them uncomfortable.

-Suppress freedom of speech, press, assembly, and religion.

-Persecution of religious minorities and the irreligious.

-Overturn laws that they imagine conflict with Biblical precepts.

There’s more, but you get the picture. Trust me - the only reason you’re ‘welcome’ in that bookshop is because they can’t legally throw you out. Yet.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 20, 2023 at 7:39 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(November 20, 2023 at 6:58 pm)SeniorCitizen Wrote: I live in a small Cotswold Town (in England). Most days I frequent a Christian Bookshop/Cafe. My conversations with the people there are often very challenging. Several people in the cafe recently insisted that God created the universe just as it says in Genesis. Now these people are not stupid ... they show no signs of having any form of mental illness or dementia. I say to them: "I don't believe that you actually believe what you say you believe". They then bombard me with anti theory of evolution stuff. They have smiles on their faces as they do so ... they are enjoying themselves. They tell me that if I don't believe in Jesus I'll go to hell when I die.

They just smile.

It’s pretty plain how they’d behave.

There’s more, but you get the picture. Trust me - the only reason you’re ‘welcome’ in that bookshop is because they can’t legally throw you out. Yet.

Boru

Or because SC isn't seen as a threat. Some religious people couldn't care less if you agree with them or not.
"Imagination, life is your creation"
Yeah, blissful ignorance.
(November 20, 2023 at 8:08 pm)Ahriman Wrote:
(November 20, 2023 at 7:39 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: It’s pretty plain how they’d behave.

Boru

Or because SC isn't seen as a threat. Some religious people couldn't care less if you agree with them or not.

Can you name a case of a religion - not just religious, people but a religion - taking power that didn’t bring about the things I listed? 

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 20, 2023 at 8:48 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(November 20, 2023 at 8:08 pm)Ahriman Wrote: Or because SC isn't seen as a threat. Some religious people couldn't care less if you agree with them or not.

Can you name a case of a religion - not just religious, people but a religion - taking power that didn’t bring about the things I listed? 

Boru

But it's not even about power, in this case. We're not talking about religion in general, this is just some people at a book shop.
(November 20, 2023 at 9:01 pm)Ahriman Wrote:
(November 20, 2023 at 8:48 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Can you name a case of a religion - not just religious, people but a religion - taking power that didn’t bring about the things I listed? 

Boru

But it's not even about power, in this case. We're not talking about religion in general, this is just some people at a book shop.

Symptoms are used to diagnose a disease.
(November 20, 2023 at 9:01 pm)Ahriman Wrote:
(November 20, 2023 at 8:48 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Can you name a case of a religion - not just religious, people but a religion - taking power that didn’t bring about the things I listed? 

Boru

Au contraire, mon frere. Senior Citizen was very specific when he asked 

Quote:What would it be like if these people were running the country? How would they behave?

Boru
Well in that case, we shouldn't assume these book shop people would even know what they were doing, if they were put in charge of a country.
If they were really friends they'd learn to talk about something else.

But then, maybe you enjoy the sword play.

[Image: mswpKBHiowJO.gif]
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questions for your Religious friends. johndoe122931 100 5295 June 5, 2021 at 9:04 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Having religious friends when you're atheist Bahana 15 2646 March 10, 2019 at 1:37 am
Last Post: fredd bear
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7041 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Atheists: Can You Still Accept X'n Friends? Detachable 76 10917 August 12, 2016 at 10:06 am
Last Post: Jesster
  FB and Twitter/insta friends atheistinNYC 3 1045 November 30, 2015 at 10:21 pm
Last Post: brewer
  AF friends, an opinion on Bible debate, please drfuzzy 25 5393 October 1, 2015 at 10:50 am
Last Post: houseofcantor
  Arguing w/ Religious Friends z7z 14 3430 June 5, 2015 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Cephus
  Dealing with Religious Friends Holden Caulfield 9 2530 July 12, 2014 at 9:02 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Apparently, I'm running low on atheist friends. Cobra Commander 5 1488 April 4, 2014 at 2:32 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Friends trying to 'save' me OGirly 30 6128 March 25, 2014 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: heathendegenerate