Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hitchhiking
Hitchhiking
Saw an article about things from the 70s that no one does today...one of those things is hitchhiking.

Have you ever?  Or have you ever picked up a hitchhiker?

I have done both.  Lived to tell about it.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

RE: Hitchhiking
I have both hitchhiked and picked up hitchhikers, mostly uneventful.

One time four of us were traveling from southern Oregon to Portland and we had a tire blowout near Albany after midnight. We got picked up by two drunks in a motorhome. Would not recommend.

Another time I picked up a homeless hippie on I-5 in Oregon. Dude whips out a huge knife...and made himself a PB sammich. Fun times.
I've never hitched, but I have picked some up. Always uneventfully.

I wouldn't go so far as to say no one does it any more, but it has certainly decreased drastically. I still see the occasional hitcher on freeway on-ramps, usually outside the Denver metro, though.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
Moving back to Iowa from Arizona, my then husband didn't calculate just how much gas traveling in the mountains in New Mexico would be. It was February, so a little brisk in the middle of the night. And yes, we ran out of gas. So we hitched a ride with a trucker...my two daughters in tow. He took us to a gas station where the girls and I stayed till the men were able to get a can of gas back to our car and then husband get back to pick us up.

I doubt the girls even remember.

Picked up a couple young guys hitchhiking in Arizona who looked like they were about to pass out from the heat. Luckily for them I carried water in the car like you are supposed to in the desert. Dropped them off when I had to turn off of Interstate 10. They looked like cooked lobsters...their plan to hitchhike to where they were going wasn't a great one.

I made a couple short trips from my hometown to the 'big' town to the east of us. Got picked up one time by a man whose daughters later babysat for my kids.

There are times I wonder just how I managed to live this long considering some of the dumb shit I have done.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(November 27, 2023 at 11:17 am)arewethereyet Wrote: Saw an article about things from the 70s that no one does today...one of those things is hitchhiking.

Have you ever?  Or have you ever picked up a hitchhiker?

I have done both.  Lived to tell about it.

Yes, both. We lived near I-80 when the mass hippie migration made it's way to Boulder Colorado in the late 60's early 70's, a lot of them hitching and panhandeling. Certainly an eye opening experience of my youth.

I stopped in the late 70's. It was basically a high school/college related thing that I out grew.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I’ve hitched throughout the UK and large parts of Western Europe. Never an issue. I used pick up, but haven’t for years - it just doesn’t seem as common as it once was.

I once picked up a woman and her toddler in Lisburn, NI. She asked if I was heading to Newry, about a 45 minute drive. On the way, she said she was leaving her abusive husband and trying to get back to her mum in Wexford, but thought she could get another lift in Newry, which was close to the border. So I drove her to Wexford, about 4 hours away.

I still wonder how things worked out for her.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Both, not since the '70s. All uneventful.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
I never have. Then again, I live in Illinois, which has a particularly strict interpetrtation of the law “No person shall stand in a roadway for a purpose of soliciting a ride”

https://www.gohitchhiking.com/is-hitchhi..._article=1
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
I was guided across the galaxy once. Maybe twice.
Waiting for a friend to return to the States. Hanging out at my sister's house in Indiana. Friend called to say he'd be delayed two weeks. Cool. Find something to do. Never been to Frisco. Hitchhiked out to Cali and back. That killed one week.