Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 16, 2024, 3:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Olympics.
The Olympics.
I don't even care about the Olympics that much but it just seems weird there's no thread about the Olympics so here it is.... the Olympics.

I'll be honest this is the kind of thing I'd only watch for certain events if I happen to be with people already watching TV.
I'll watch highlights on tiktok, and since I've got a new love for climbing I can't wait to watch that.
There's been some controversy about a female boxer who everyone thought was trans at first but it seems she isn't.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

RE: The Olympics.
I've never watched the event. I only catch what others bring to my attention.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I'd watch it if they banned highly trained athletes from competing. I think a much better system would be a compulsory lottery draw:

Every two years, about a month before the games, batches of people would be randomly chosen to compete and would be notified by letter, something like, 'Congratulations, Mr. Frebnik! You've received this letter because you've been chosen to participate in the 100m Butterfly! Please be in Minsk on 14 August.' Never mind that Mr. Frebnik has never swum a day in his life - barring a medical condition, he would be required to compete.

Just think of it - untrained, inexperienced people running, shooting, jumping, swimming, playing with swords, doing gymnastics, etc. That would be entertaining as fuck.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
I only realised that it was on a few days after it started. When the UK held the games a few years ago I watched the opening and closing ceremonies but not the running, jumping and splashing in between!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

I used to watch the Olympics, summer and winter, faithfully from the opening ceremonies to the end.

When things got real political a few years back and some countries pulled out I sort of drifted away from it. My older daughter watches like her life depends on it. For two weeks, you don't see or hear from her as she watches live and replays.

I see reels here and there...the gymnasts are amazing, as always. The guy from Turkey, I think, who doesn't use special eyewear who is winning the shooting events just looks like any man that age I would find in my neighborhood....I kinda like that.

Snoop Dogg, who has gone from "Murder Was The Case That They Gave Me" to Olympics mascot is worth it just for the reels and the memes.

I check the highlights but don't watch it any more. Now, things might be different in the next winter Olympics if I happen to catch curling...which is oddly fascinating to me.
[Image: MmQV79M.png]  

Big D French vaulter has received advice from a drag queen on how to tuck and he has also received a job offer from an adult entertainment site.
~ Erin Hunter
‘World’s fastest man’ Noah Lyles causes a storm by winning Olympic 100m gold with painted nails

Pink News
~ Erin Hunter
(August 5, 2024 at 2:08 am)paulpablo Wrote: I don't even care about the Olympics that much but it just seems weird there's no thread about the Olympics so here it is.... the Olympics.

I'll be honest this is the kind of thing I'd only watch for certain events if I happen to be with people already watching TV.
I'll watch highlights on tiktok, and since I've got a new love for climbing I can't wait to watch that.
There's been some controversy about a female boxer who everyone thought was trans at first but it seems she isn't.

Down with that sort of thing!
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
I'd probably take more interest if some of the ancient events were re-instated, such as chariot racing. I'd also like to suggest adding javelin catching as an event.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
I could not care less about a sporting event than the Olympics. I simply have zero fucks to give about a "sporting event" that has become so dreadfully politicized. It's the major factor in my waning interest in the NFL as well.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are You Watching the Olympics? Seraphina 25 2639 August 12, 2016 at 6:07 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Rio Olympics, triumph and tragedy . . . . vorlon13 8 2446 April 24, 2016 at 4:01 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The "Special" Olympics is dumb BrokenQuill92 36 16696 April 23, 2014 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Olympics Godscreated 91 28092 August 18, 2012 at 10:47 am
Last Post: NoraBrimstone
  It just HAD to happen- Olympics thread KichigaiNeko 63 20498 August 10, 2012 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Phelps vs Lochte Olympics 2012 5thHorseman 4 2262 July 27, 2012 at 3:45 pm
Last Post: jackman