Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 16, 2024, 4:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sweating to the...
Sweating to the...
A thread for sharing and/or discussing exercise routines.

As many of you know, I was diagnosed pre-diabetic a couple years ago. My doctor told me I had to get rid of the sugar and start exercising. I took that as a challenge. For the first 90 days, I reduced my daily carb load to about 150 grams. That was 600 calories of my then daily 1500-2000 calorie intake. Less than 10 grams of that was added sugars. I also started walking. Minimum 15 minutes a day, at least 3 miles per hour. After 90 days, I was doing 2 mile half hour and had kicked the pre-diabetic diagnosis. Fast forward to today, I'm no longer getting a satisfactory workout from walks, and have taken my mountain bike out from under the deck, where it sat neglected for a decade of storage, got it into working condition again and started riding. I try to pick a different destination every day. Friday was Stearns Lake, a 13.5 mile round trip. Yesterday I didn't get to ride due to other commitments. Today I rode to Webster Lake:
[Image: 20240825-094553.jpg]
This was a 19 mile loop, and the longest ride I've made since I was a kid. The return trip had the best view, though...
[Image: 20240825-100744.jpg]
[Image: 20240825-100748.jpg]
[Image: 20240825-100753.jpg]
[Image: 20240825-100758.jpg]
[Image: 20240825-100802.jpg]
[Image: 20240825-100807.jpg]
I'm going to have to revisit this spot after the mountains start getting some snow.

So what do you do to stay healthy and keep the reaper at bay?
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
RE: Sweating to the...
Not my forge, but similar.

[Image: the-blacksmith-forge-paul-freidlund.jpg]

Smelting ores and swinging hammers keeps me fit, and I find it more fun than running about or doing physical jerks.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
Torqued my knee a while back so walking has slowed way down. I've got a push mower and still do the yard, that's about 2 hours a week. Resistance bands for core and upper body. Old fart pushups and crunches.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I do a 20-minute Silver Sneakers cardio video each day.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
My exercise routine these days is mostly my side gig. Gear has to get loaded and unloaded; shop, truck, pier, boat, in the water and back with a side trip to the fill station to swap empties for filled tanks. That, and a lot of walking. Joint and other pain issues keep me from doing anything high-impact.

I try to eat right, mostly fresh fruit and vegetables, legumes, soy, cheese, eggs and fish. I try to avoid highly processed foods, also fried foods. Sweets are my kryptonite. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything, what I eat may be healthy, it's also delicious.
I lift weights 3 times a week and walk about 7km daily on top of doing physical labor.
The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.

The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.

Socrates.
14.2 miles after work today. Not a lot of awesome scenery on this ride, but I did get this nice view of Cherry Creek while I was out:
[Image: Cherry-Creek-South.jpg]
Despite not being able to ride yesterday, I've still managed 46.7 miles in the last four days, averaging 11.675 miles per day.

Some days I feel my age, but not usually on these days. Smile
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
I do about 15 miles of hiking with my dog per week, use a stand up desk at work, and lift weights 4 x per week. I once weighed 268lb. Two plus years into this routine I'm 220 now with a goal of 215. I'm 6'1" so technically overweight but I feel so much better. I weigh less now than I did as a middle linebacker in HS. I'm in my 50's. Down from a 40 inch waist to a 34 inch waist.

The biggest hack for my health other than exercise has been a regular bedtime and regular wake up.
I used to lift some weights at home every now and then. Two months ago I got operated from Spinal stenosis (back operation) and now I can't lift anything. It is very sad. I want to use elastic bands to replace the weights but I can't seem to make them work.
Since I started climbing I've been doing pull ups a lot.

Considering I could barely do 5 before I've improved a lot. I can do 15 in a row. With 2 lots of ankle weights on each leg i can do about 7.

My most weighted pull ups consist of all those ankle weights plus a backpack near enough filled with rocks and I can still do 3 pull ups.

On the actual wall this only really benefits up to a certain level, most higher graded climbing is all about being light, hand strength and body positioning. But I don't think it hurts to be good at pulling yourself up.

I froze my gym membership because I'm doing 60 hours a week in work for now, but my work place is empty for me to do what I want in. I do all those pull ups on the fire exit stairway to a disused factory.
I also do weights, jogging and walking as much as I can. I do that up and down the hallway or this disused office block.

I'm about 6 ft, 180 pounds. I'm not very chubby most most of the best climbers have a skinny build that I envy, I'd like to lose a few pounds but I already eat fairly healthy I don't want to go on any psycho diet that isn't sustainable.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.