Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hypocrisy
hypocrisy
which group of religous people do atheist think are most hypocritical and why?
RE: hypocrisy
They are all pretty hypocritical to be honest. I don't think I could rank them.
They are all hypocritical. I am kind of curious why a Christian would ask this question.

But if you really want a specific answer based on my limited understanding of religion (because I'm not an expert on all religions), I guess I'd pick moderate christians. At least fundamentalists stick by their book. Moderates stand by it but hem and haw when you point out the nasty bits.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
If I had to pick I would say the group that tries to diminish science and place it in some conspiracy context but enjoy all its achievements. That trait happens in more than one religion.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
I'm with Eilonnwhy - however crazy the fundies are - at least they don't cherry pick as much.

And the really really fundie ones - the ones that agree to the stoning of adulterers; sheez - you can tell they don't cherry pick - they actually take the OT completely 100% literally no messing about! Its not good!

So I'd say the moderates are the most hypocritical generally because of all the cherry picking...

But I'm so glad they're not all totally literal fundies!!

I just think - you can't have it both ways. If you're gonna pick nice bits at least realize that you ARE in fact picking! And you are the one doing it. The bad bits aren't untrue just because you don't like them. Logically they're no more untrue at all. So either you go by the bible or you don't.

Because otherwise by what criteria do you pick and choose?

With your brain - you do the picking yourself how you like. This has nothing to do with truth, with evidence etc, - this is just cherry-picking preference.

If there's no evidence for good bits OR bad bits. You can't believe any of it. If you believe it all at least you're more consistent though. At least you're not cherry picking.

But of course the ramifications stem from being more literal are an awful lot worse. But the cherry-picking moderates do give a lot of cover to the fundies. Through the whole respect for faith and non-criticism of religion.

Even some 'believe in belief' atheists are like that. They don't "believe" themselves but they are happy for those who do - and they don't like criticising religion. Those types can be very condescending to people actually - as Dawkins mentions in TGD.

Evf
I'm with Leo on this ... some groups just believe what they believe and don't really consider/impact science and in some cases even celebrate it to an extent, others (and I'm thinking creationists, intelligent designists and other fundy groups here) attack science, deny evolution and so on yet are entirely happy to benefit from the fruits of scientific endeavour.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
(February 3, 2009 at 1:15 pm)cgibsonrox Wrote: which group of religous people do atheist think are most hypocritical and why?
I'm curious as to why you have chosen hypocrisy to ask about. How come?
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Don't you just love the hypocrisy of religion. ignoramus 86 22266 July 16, 2017 at 7:04 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Religious political hypocrisy josef rosenkranz 17 5583 February 1, 2009 at 3:26 pm
Last Post: GSARider