Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Shariah: Is it "barbaric"?
Shariah: Is it "barbaric"?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qengJJYwagk

Especially watch from 6:25 to 9:00 minutes of the video because it gets to the heart of the matter.

The point is that the question of which of the two is more brutal is a subjective matter. And personally, I would rather get lashed 100 times instead of spending 2 years in prison.
RE: Shariah: Is it "barbaric"?
The defence in favour of Sharia law illustrate why religion has no place in politics. It is a clear violation of the principles of the separation of church and state and of the independence of the judiciary.

Is Sharia law barbaric?

Not a complicated question:

(1)Do women have equal rights under Sharia law, such as say custody rights in divorce?

(2) Does Sharia law allow for capital punishment for say adultery and apostasy? Does it allow for the maiming of people for any crime? Are such penalties still EVER carried out?

It is my understanding that the answer to (1) is 'no' and to (2) is 'yes' .IF that is the case then in my opinion,Sharia law is unjust,barbaric and cruel.

However,I have no right to tell another country what legal system it should use and frankly don't care. Nor does another have any right to impose their beliefs on others. Militant Muslims who want Sharia law for everyone, believer and kafir, scare and infuriate me, just as would that skid mark on the underpants of society, Fred Phelps, if he ever got any power.
[Image: 1691607_370.jpg]

Yes.
Yes...
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Not all of sharia law is barabaric, but some of it is.
So yes.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Some of it, sure? I agree that I'd prefer 100 lashes to 2 years in prison, but the reasons why people are prosecuted to begin with are barbaric.
Yes ...

It is very primitive and a disgrace on the countries who support it. It is also a very telling indictment on those individuals who support it, is my opinion, as such it has no place in a modern society.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Yes, without a shadow of a doubt.

In most cases I am of the thought that you should respect other cultures and laws, but sharia is one case which deserves no respect or tolerance.
Signature pending...
1. "who has the right to call something barbaric": ANYONE. All those terms he used are subjective terms, and if, to my perception, something is barbaric, i'm damn well allowed to express that sentiment. And murdering people for apostasy goes against the established laws of every developed country. Not all behaviors are acceptable.

2. Criminality in Islamic countries is lower partly because punishments are more severe. Too severe. Capital punishment in our countries is really hard to administer. And it is painless and private, unlike the public executions in Saudi Arabia.

3. Lashings are torture. For some reason, in our countries, it is illegal to beat up someone until they cant walk anymore.
(April 24, 2011 at 4:33 am)Rwandrall Wrote: 1. "who has the right to call something barbaric": ANYONE. All those terms he used are subjective terms, and if, to my perception, something is barbaric, i'm damn well allowed to express that sentiment. And murdering people for apostasy goes against the established laws of every developed country. Not all behaviors are acceptable.

2. Criminality in Islamic countries is lower partly because punishments are more severe. Too severe. Capital punishment in our countries is really hard to administer. And it is painless and private, unlike the public executions in Saudi Arabia.

3. Lashings are torture. For some reason, in our countries, it is illegal to beat up someone until they cant walk anymore.

Do you think that the severity of the punishments is the sole reason for the low crime rates?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fuck allah and his barbaric followers..... Minimalist 11 6166 November 14, 2012 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: Stranger