Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Universalism
Universalism
Why are Christians so opposed the idea that everyone gets to go to heaven? A non-denominational pastor recently wrote a book saying there is no hell and he's being branded a heretic. (Here's an article http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/01...al-church/)
Not only is he being publicly denounced one only has to read the comments to understand what Christians think of this. I just don't understand why this is such a big deal.

Do they need the concept of hell as a coping mechanism for the evil in the world by believing that the wicked will be punished? Is it an elitist idea to reinforce the notion that they are God's chosen people? Or are they scared because universalism would mean that the parts in the bible about hell are wrong? Maybe they just see it as spirtiual communism.

What drives Christians to need the concept of hell?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
RE: Universalism
(May 1, 2011 at 1:45 am)FaithNoMore Wrote: What drives Christians to need the concept of hell?

You have to scare the shit out of the natives somehow!
[Image: Evolution.png]

People like knowing that the person who hurt them will eventually have the justice they wish they could give them in real life.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(May 1, 2011 at 2:14 am)Cinjin Cain Wrote: You have to scare the shit out of the natives somehow!
thesummerqueen Wrote:People like knowing that the person who hurt them will eventually have the justice they wish they could give them in real life.
Those are good answers but they don't explain why there is such outrage over someone who dare claim there might not be a hell. I don't see why they get so pissed at the idea of everyone getting into heaven.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Because this would make alot of their beliefs redundant. Change is not an easy thing.
It's all about the human NEED for revenge. ...meh
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
It's hard to feel morally superior to all those heathens when they are going to get the same reward as you.

One suspects the loving christians WANT everyone else to burn for eternity.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(May 1, 2011 at 5:07 am)Zen Badger Wrote: It's hard to feel morally superior to all those heathens when they are going to get the same reward as you.

One suspects the loving christians WANT everyone else to burn for eternity.

Yup just one more piece of evidence that xtians (generally speaking) are petty, infantile, misogynistic, violent, childishly arrogant, and as self absorbed as their god is...aka

ain't worth a piece of crockAngel Cloud
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I love Rob Bell. He's the man. A few people are saying the same thing... I heard it first a few years ago... it's an accuracy of translation thing. Traditionalists are scared shitless by anything which challenges their thinking. That's all this is.

Rob Bell responded a couple of weeks ago - the critic hadn't even read the book. Bell isn't a Universalist..... he's straight down the line Christian.
(May 1, 2011 at 5:50 am)fr0d0 Wrote: I love Rob Bell. He's the man. A few people are saying the same thing... I heard it first a few years ago... it's an accuracy of translation thing. Traditionalists are scared shitless by anything which challenges their thinking. That's all this is.

Rob Bell responded a couple of weeks ago - the critic hadn't even read the book. Bell isn't a Universalist..... he's straight down the line Christian.

I think I read somewhere that he is indeed not a universalist but in talking about how his beliefs are that God is love he mentions that this seems to be incompatible with the concept of hell. It's funny how a bunch of Christian "celebreties" have come out condemming him and calling him a heretic. They pull out their claws at the mere suggestion of everyone going to heaven.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christian Universalism... You're all (NOT) going to HEEEELLLL!!! youhadme_at_hellhole 25 9764 August 7, 2010 at 9:40 pm
Last Post: youhadme_at_hellhole