Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favourite skeptical, rational, liberal themed podcasts?
Music 
Favourite skeptical, rational, liberal themed podcasts?
I listen to quite a few podcasts, but only a handful of which I listen to somwhat religiously, pardon the expression. I'll find a random episode of something which sounds good but never subscribe and lose it forever.

So, I'm wondering what your favourite podcasts are in the field of skepticism, etc? Things I favour most importantly are as follows:
  1. Production quality
  2. Content
  3. Atmosphere (lighthearted, based in humour - should be entertaining, and not feel like a lecture!)
I've heard plenty of skype-to-laptop recordings and for me that doesn't make a decent podcast. There are too many variables to get right in the production quality which often makes them unlistenable. They're often just audio dumps of a live Skype call which is never edited down to remove 'umms' and silence. That's what put me off Skeptics Guide to the Universe, but maybe that was too harsh a critique. I welcome being told I'm made of wrong and I should correct this crass injustice at once, and subscribe. Tongue

At the moment my favourites are Skeptics with a K and InKredulous! from the Merseyside Skeptics Society in the UK, the Pod Delusion and I occasionally listen to the like of Righteous Indignation and Strange Quarks. Oh, and it's not a skeptical podcast but I do get all my news from the Bugle!
RE: Favourite skeptical, rational, liberal themed podcasts?
I dont listen to podcasts anymore, but if a youtube vidcast, or vlog, would be...

The Young Turks
I loves me some liberals of the Turkish kind who are also not old.
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
What is a "podcast?" Remember I'm a cranky old bastard.
(May 16, 2011 at 9:48 pm)Minimalist Wrote: What is a "podcast?" Remember I'm a cranky old bastard.

It's like a radio show but then broadcast over the internet.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
The "pod" in podcast is an acronym that stands for Play On Demand.
We should really have a go at putting together the forum podcast again...
(May 17, 2011 at 12:55 pm)Tiberius Wrote: We should really have a go at putting together the forum podcast again...

I never knew there was one. Sounds like it would be fun to listen to!
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
We tried to make one but it never really went anywhere. I'd be prepared to try again, but only if we had a team of 3-4 people doing it (and someone who knows how to edit the thing together properly).
(May 18, 2011 at 5:24 am)Tiberius Wrote: We tried to make one but it never really went anywhere. I'd be prepared to try again, but only if we had a team of 3-4 people doing it (and someone who knows how to edit the thing together properly).

I know how to edit podcasts. I wouldn't be good for doing a podcast but I can take care of tech stuff.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Great Advice on Having Conversations with the Un-Skeptical thesummerqueen 10 2382 September 15, 2011 at 9:01 pm
Last Post: Erinome