Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 11:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magicka
Magicka
This is one of the best mage games I've every played! You build spells by stacking elements and they modify each other in interesting ways. For example rock and sheild combined will make a wall of rock, if you add arcane then the rock wall will explode when the mobs smash through your defense. The spells can be directed at the area around the caster like a nova spell, projected outwards, cast on self, or even used to enchant your weapon so you can store a devestating atack in your blade for later use. You also find spellbooks along the way which allows you to use combinations to cause even more magical effects like invisibility, rain, or meteor shower. My personal favorite is invisibility with teleport being a close second.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_b6-IRQP4k

Seriously, this game rocks and is pretty cheap from Steam.

P.S. There is no bullshit mana to deal with! You can cast all your spells as fast as you can wiggle your fingers on the keyboard and press the cast button!
RE: Magicka
*NERDGASM*
No fucking mana? Shock

So long as it isn't layered with bugs... it sounds like an interesting concept. Mage without mana? I'll take that with some doughnuts please Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Yeah, the "cost" of weaving a spell is that the more elements you stack, up to five, will slow your character down and they take a finite time to cast as well. My favorite spells are the beam spells which last as long as you hold the cast button up to a set time limit, unless you have the demon tentacle as your staff. The demon tentacle allows beam spells to last forever! Casting spells feels great though; there is nothing like loading up five rock ele's then powering up the spell and sending a large rock careening across the screen! It is also fun to load up five ice (water+cold) ele's and sending a shotgun spray of ice crystals into a wave of small mobs.
Magicka is a brilliant & fun game. It's fucking hard though. I'm not used to playing a topdown game, using those keys for what they are used for in Magicka.

The spells system is very, very neat.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
I love the fact that the forces you are playing around with will kill you just as easily as it will your enemies. Like whoops I accidently cast a spell on myself and BOOM dead. I think that is how magic should work; uber powerful but just as deadly to the caster as the castee. My favorite puzzler was how to cast a thunderstorm and survive the spell! Meteor storm wasn't as hard, but rain coupled with lightning! Fuckin' hell!
(May 24, 2011 at 4:06 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: I love the fact that the forces you are playing around with will kill you just as easily as it will your enemies. Like whoops I accidently cast a spell on myself and BOOM dead. I think that is how magic should work; uber powerful but just as deadly to the caster as the castee. My favorite puzzler was how to cast a thunderstorm and survive the spell! Meteor storm wasn't as hard, but rain coupled with lightning! Fuckin' hell!

Okay... nix anything bad I said about this game. I want it. Now.

And I'll get it too Sleepy
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
My Steam ID is Rhizomorph so you could add me and get the game and then we could be pwning Mages working with Vlad the not vampire.
No mana? Spamfest?

Well, I guess i'll give it a try. Big Grin
Quote:"I think it's perfectly possible to explain how the universe came about without bringing God into it, but I don't know everything, and there may well be a God somewhere, hiding away. Actually, if he is keeping out of sight, it's because he's ashamed of his followers and all the cruelty and ignorance they're responsible for promoting in his name. If I were him, I'd want nothing to do with them."
— Philip Pullman
(May 25, 2011 at 4:00 am)Jax Wrote: No mana? Spamfest?

Well, I guess i'll give it a try. Big Grin

Much like warriors often have no stamina, so they can swing their swords as often as they like but each sword swing takes a finite time. Also, mages can cause AOE damage that kills themselves! Too much magic is often not a good thing.