Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:01 am

Poll: As an agnostic do you think that all gods may exist or only a specific one?
This poll is closed.
I believe that a specific god may exist.
5.00%
1 5.00%
I believe all gods have an equal probability.
5.00%
1 5.00%
I believe that only a nonpersonal god may exist.
5.00%
1 5.00%
Im a deist.
0%
0 0%
Im an athiest / nonthiest.
85.00%
17 85.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your view on agnosticism.
Your view on agnosticism.
I know some of agnostics that only seem to think god may or may not exist but only seem to think that the god they were originally indoctrinated to has the chance to exist or not.

Is this just me or is it a common agnostic stance?
RE: Your view on agnosticism.
I don't claim to know anything but I believe there are no Gods. Atheism is an assumption taken as fact, that's why I'm not an atheist.
(June 5, 2011 at 8:25 pm)SpatiumTempusque Wrote: I don't claim to know anything but I believe there are no Gods. Atheism is an assumption taken as fact, that's why I'm not an atheist.

I would put that view under equal possibility of unknown
Agnostic is a statement about knowability

atheist or theist is an answer to the question, "Do you believe in God, god, or gods?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism

It is possible to be one of four things:

1. agnostic theist
2. gnostic theist
3. agnostic atheist
4. gnostic atheist

One can be agnostic about any proposition, it is not restricted to the deity question.
I’m agnostic about a lot of things. The god of Abraham and Jewish zombies are not included on that list.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
I understand the definition. I'm just asking if its common and how common or for any personal experiences.
(June 5, 2011 at 8:16 pm)eric209 Wrote: I know some of agnostics that only seem to think god may or may not exist but only seem to think that the god they were originally indoctrinated to has the chance to exist or not.

Is this just me or is it a common agnostic stance?

People who self-identify as "agnostics" seem to have an exceptional degree of variation in how that is defined. The theists shriek "yes there is!" and the atheists say "no, there isn't" but the shades of gray are owned by the agnostics.
Agnosticism is a cop out held only for sake of argument so that people don't have to go face up to their faith while they are debating something Heart
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(June 5, 2011 at 10:35 pm)Aerzia Saerules Arktuos Wrote: Agnosticism is a cop out held only for sake of argument so that people don't have to go face up to their faith while they are debating something Heart

I like what you said though i dont know if its true. I do like the sound of it.
(June 5, 2011 at 10:54 pm)eric209 Wrote:
(June 5, 2011 at 10:35 pm)Aerzia Saerules Arktuos Wrote: Agnosticism is a cop out held only for sake of argument so that people don't have to go face up to their faith while they are debating something Heart

I like what you said though i dont know if its true. I do like the sound of it.

I recommend nobody pay attention to me... I'm all worn out from having hauled a phone line a mile and then some along the bluff of a beach. Butt to listen they'd have to pay attention to me in the first place Heart

I could also have said it was self defeating, as you would have to know that you don't know to remark on it... leaving agnosticism valid only when you haven't even heard of a thing before...

But then I'd get into a philosophical war with people that claim agnosticism when they are really all gnostics Heart
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Agnosticism LinuxGal 5 852 January 2, 2023 at 8:29 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Atheism, theism, agnosticism, gnosticism, ignosticism Simon Moon 25 2037 October 29, 2022 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
Lightbulb POLL: As an Atheist, What Do You View as Being the Most Rational Political Outlook? Engel 124 35290 June 1, 2022 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Atheists, whats your view on "Stefan Molyneux" Aneiu1 1 564 November 13, 2021 at 7:36 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Agnosticism IS the most dishonest position R00tKiT 575 38923 March 18, 2020 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Best argument for Atheism in my view Kimoev 29 3927 September 5, 2019 at 10:37 am
Last Post: Vince
  Two Undeniable Truths Why Theism is True and Atheism and Agnosticism are Not True HiYou 49 12103 July 21, 2015 at 6:59 am
Last Post: KUSA
  Enlightened [Elitist] Agnosticism Dystopia 92 9733 March 3, 2015 at 11:48 am
Last Post: robvalue
  The Christian view of life being superior to the Atheist one Dolorian 16 3376 October 26, 2014 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Question about atheism related with gnosticism and agnosticism Dystopia 4 2098 July 10, 2014 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: ignoramus