Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 2:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ash Wednesday
Ash Wednesday
So how many of you guys have seen people with ashes on their foreheads? I'm a very Catholic city and have a lot of Catholic coworkers, so a bunch of people have ashes on their head. Even when I was a Catholic, I thought it was a silly ritual.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
RE: Ash Wednesday
People put ashes on their foreheads??? When did this happen?
(February 25, 2009 at 12:25 pm)Tiberius Wrote: People put ashes on their foreheads??? When did this happen?

It happens every Ash Wednesday. You don't what that is? Maybe it's only a Catholic thing, I'm not sure.

Basically Ash Wednesday is the day that marks the beginning of Lent which is the 40 day holy period before holy week (Palm Sunday, Good Friday, and Easter). People got to church and get holy ashes on their head in the shape of a cross (Though usually it ends up looking like a dot) with an incantation.

You can read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ash_Wednesday

I used to get ashes on my forehead when I was a child.

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
Oh I know about Ash Wednesday, I used to celebrate it when I was a Christian. I just never used to smear ashes on my head...and I didn't think people would do that anyway. What's the point of it??? :S
It's like people wearing robes and carrying lightsabers on the anniversary of starwars. But in seriousness...
I think it's mostly a catholic thing. I grew up in Staten Island, NY which is extremely Catholic and I was methodist so I could never understand why we didnt do it too, haha. But yeah, kids used to come to school late with ashes on their heads! I was always slightly jealous (I was a weird kid).
Cher

"I have no advice for anybody; except to, you know, be awake enough to see where you are at any given time, and how that is beautiful, and has poetry inside. Even places you hate" -Jeff Buckley
It;s funny because half my coworkers have black dots on their head.

I used to get an ash cross when I was a kid, as I lived 100 yards from the church that wasn't much of a trek.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
They used to make a big deal out of it in school. There'd be a mass in the morning the entire school would attend (all one thousand and odd of us) and one by one a strange man would put ashes on our foreheads. Though I don't think it was clearly explained to us why :S
Hoi Zaeme.
I used to have a job as a receptionist for a couple of years and everytime someone came in with ashes on their forehead I used to mess with them by telling them that they had some dirty stain on their head.I have no respect for religious rituals and think of them as funny and ignorant.Maybe the pastafarians can come up with an equivalent holiday where all pastafarians walk around with spaghetti on their heads for a day,you never know it might catch on.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/