Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Antitheism
Antitheism
Opposition to belief in a god or religion. Often I see atheism and antitheism go hand in hand, though it's not always the case. As I see it there are a number of types. Anti-belief/superstitions, anti-religion and anti-Deity.

It is possible for believers to be in some ways antitheistic. They can be dystheists/misotheists/misotheists, and believe that the god is evil, or they can believe that belief should be an entirely personal affair and organised religion has a negative impact on people/society, or they could believe that yes there is a god, but people need to let go of it and start doing things for themselves without a safety net or the promise of reward/punishment in the afterlife to make sure that they work on improving the current world. I'm just saying its possible.

My question is this: are you antitheistic, if so in what ways, and for what reasons?

RE: Antitheism
I am slowly moving in that direction. I used to think that Dawkins was a bit extreme in the vitriol he resrved for monotheism, but the more I see it for what it is, the more I loathe it. Those who would candycoat it and suggest it has mended its errors of the past are to me sad representatives of the ignorance necessary for perpetuating a system of utter biases which ran its course a century ago. The Communists were fucked up, but they saw religion for what it was: What they wanted to take from it and use-a means of social control.
Trying to update my sig ...
Getting more and more antitheist by the minute. The reason being the danger religion poses to our safety and peace (jihad, religious wars etc.), the way it propagates superstitious thinking and stultifies rationality, curiosity and critical thought. This is something to be critical of especially as the world religoins hold so much political power. We can't just say nothing, it'd be morally wrong not to attack religion on these points.
[Image: bloodyheretic.png]

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds."
Einstein

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down happy. They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life.

- John Lennon
As much as I dislike religion, I would say that I am more of an advocate of people using religion responsibly than anti-theism, because I think it is a bit more of a realistic goal. That being said, if I could, I would probably rid the world of religion.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell