Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harrisburg
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania.....not even some shithole in Alabama!

http://www.examiner.com/atheism-in-phila...the-budget

Quote:Pennsylvania’s capital city of Harrisburg is currently in massive debt. So much debt that some city officials want to filing for bankruptcy. But not to worry the city’s mayor, Linda Thompson has a plan. Her plan is to pray and fast for three days.

RE: Harrisburg
People vote for these guys...
This country ,and many others, are screwed.
Desperate people do desperate things.

The reason many turn to fundamentalism is that they need an external entity to reassure them, tell them what to think, eat and do. The world is a scary place sometimes -- letting someone else (like your pastor) direct you is far easier because it removes the component of blame from themselves.

If things don't work out, they can blame God or Satan or whatever. Not themselves.

Ironic how a great many of the Tea Partiers are fundamentalist and prattle about personal responsibility, but need a man in the bully pulpit to oversee them.
If that was in the UK, she would be laughed out of office. In your country it seems to be business as usual.

I really feel for you all, having to tolerate this lunacy.
I'm pretty speechless! This is the 21st century isn't it?
This deluded politician ought to setting herself up for a fall when her superstitious antics solve nothing.
I await confirmation of same in due course!
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
(June 22, 2011 at 2:57 pm)bozo Wrote: I'm pretty speechless! This is the 21st century isn't it?
This deluded politician ought to setting herself up for a fall when her superstitious antics solve nothing.
I await confirmation of same in due course!

One of your great leaders, Winston Churchill had this to offer:
"Americans can always be counted on to do the right thing...after they have exhausted all other possibilities."

Prophetic words.
Fuck me, that is stupid, but the worst part of it is that a majority of Americans would say that is a good approach.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell