Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 9:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biomag
Biomag
We frequently get Ads for this bullshit pseudo-science here in NZ, notably on the state funded "Good morning" TV show where they have advertorials almost every single day.

It's an underlay for a mattress that uses magnets to provide "Drug-free pain relief", by using a magnetic filed to induce analgesia (sense of absence of pain) it's complete and utter fucking nonsense.

[Image: example_3.jpg]

On their site, biomag.co.nz, they have some "clinical studies", notably from the Journal of alternative and complementary medicine...

And right out of the gate they straw-man the medical best-practices:

"For years, the mainstream medical establishment’s response to pain has been to throw a pill at it."

And they even admit that they don't cure pain, they make you feel better:

"Fortunately, there is a very effective drug-free way to treat pain: the Woolrest Biomag magnetic underlay. While a Biomag does not cure your pain, it has made a huge difference to literally tens on thousands of people, by reducing inflammation and relieving their pain."

But wait, it's not JUST pain relief, it's a full blown clinic in a bedsheet! They claim to cure:

Arthritis
Back and other aches/pains
various auto-immune disorders
high/low blood pressure
circulation problems
cramps (muscular)
low energy
fatigue
fibromyalgia
gout
headaches
osteoporosis
asthma
sciatica
shingles
skin conditions
sleepless nights
stress

And wait for it, because it's about to get much more stupid! Here's how it works:

"It does this by drawing trace elements, for instance, iron, towards the magnets. The human body contains about 5 grams of iron, much of it in the form of haemoglobin which plays a vital role moving oxygen from your lungs around your body." AND "It is believed that the static magnets in the underlay increase the flow of blood in your circulation, because blood contains iron. Your blood acts as a conductor and this assists the flow of your circulation"

That's right baby, they use the iron in your blood to move oxygen around your body! But wait, if you're lying on top of the magnets, and the magnets are sufficiently powerful to have an effect on the iron, surely the blood would flow downwards? How exactly would that increase circulation? And is there any correlation what-so-ever between circulation and pain? With a quick search I found nothing credible, but if anyone knows something point it out - I did however find this:

"The iron in the body is locked up in haemoglobin molecules and is so diffuse that it is incapable of forming any kind of magnetic attraction. In fact it turns out that haemoglobin (and pretty much all other molecules) are actually slightly diamagnetic, which is to say they are slightly repelled by magnetic fields. "

And how is your blood a conductor, a conductor of what? And how does this help circulation?

I loved this quote on crap-based-medicine, basically sums it up;

"Do magnets affect the iron in your blood, increasing circulation and bettering your health? Well, tell me this: The last time you got an MRI, did the enormous magnets tear all the blood out of your stupid body?"

But wait, they're not done making dumb claims yet:

"The general consensus is that the magnetic force stimulates nerve-endings to improve blood flow to injured or swollen joints, causing the blood vessels to dilate."

There is a big write-up here;
http://authorofconfusion.wordpress.com/2...st-biomag/
RE: Biomag
This reminds me of rock medicine. "Wear this rock around your neck and you will get pregnant!" *sigh*
Fuck, I just saw something even more stupid on TV, can't find a website or a clip, but it was a comb-like hand held device with lasers and LEDs that makes your hair grow back...

This shit is fraud, plain and simple, they should be arrested.
My favorite is the pain managing holographic chip.

http://holographicpainchips.org/
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
With all these matresses, LED hair cones, power bracelets and shit like that, I wonder why there is still problems in the world... They solve everything, it seems ROFLOL
This is my favorite;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbbPYfW2s...dded#at=45
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
I have heard of those blankets and seen ads on television here in Australia. Also the low common denominator "current events" shows did some stories on them once too.

(June 23, 2011 at 9:38 pm)theVOID Wrote: Fuck, I just saw something even more stupid on TV, can't find a website or a clip, but it was a comb-like hand held device with lasers and LEDs that makes your hair grow back...

This shit is fraud, plain and simple, they should be arrested.

Also I have seen those ads as well.
undefined
http://www.biolifeworld.net/

This kind of nonsense? Quite possible the most stupid scam going.
[Image: bloodyheretic.png]

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds."
Einstein

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down happy. They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life.

- John Lennon
Dude,

Didn't you know that magnets can make you live forever? Here is a totally reputable site that will help you see the facts!: http://www.alexchiu.com/

He has a patent so they must work!

Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
That's a dildo between her tits.
Trying to update my sig ...