Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SC Upholds 1st Amendment
SC Upholds 1st Amendment
But I still have to say, I agree with the dissenting justice when he questioned why it is fine to let a 13 year-old play a game in which he kidnaps, binds and tortures an innocent woman but abhorrent for him to see a real naked woman in a magazine.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/...V9seN%2BNd
Trying to update my sig ...
RE: SC Upholds 1st Amendment
I question why it is not fine to let anyone play any video game or see pictures of naked women (in magazines or no).

Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
THAT would make sense.
Trying to update my sig ...
Law is not about sense.
So in the USA, do games have age-restrictions at all? I mean, here in the UK, it's illegal to sell a game with an "18" certificate to anyone under that age; same goes for games with "15" and "12" certificates.
There is no legal restriction but businesses do restrict the selling of games by age.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(July 2, 2011 at 9:09 pm)Tiberius Wrote: So in the USA, do games have age-restrictions at all? I mean, here in the UK, it's illegal to sell a game with an "18" certificate to anyone under that age; same goes for games with "15" and "12" certificates.

More evidence the UK is filled with pansies that can't do anything themselves... like parent Tongue
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(June 27, 2011 at 4:35 pm)Epimethean Wrote: But I still have to say, I agree with the dissenting justice when he questioned why it is fine to let a 13 year-old play a game in which he kidnaps, binds and tortures an innocent woman but abhorrent for him to see a real naked woman in a magazine.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/...V9seN%2BNd

Yes, if there's one thing I find insane about America, it's the fact that we find ourselves much more willing to get into moral panics over sex than something like violence, and that it's the panics about sex that we find the biggest need to try to solve.

I think Zardoz said it best: The Gun is Good! The Penis is Evil!

(July 2, 2011 at 9:09 pm)Tiberius Wrote: So in the USA, do games have age-restrictions at all? I mean, here in the UK, it's illegal to sell a game with an "18" certificate to anyone under that age; same goes for games with "15" and "12" certificates.

Yes, there are.
Ratings without Restrictions:
E- Everyone [Equivalent: G or U]
E10-Everyone 10 and Up [Equivalent: PG]
T- Teen [Equivalent: PG-13 or 12/15]

Ratings with Restrictions:
M- Mature [Equivalent: R or 15/18]
AO-Adult Only [Equivalent: NC-17 or R18]
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.