Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 3:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proponents celebrate Tau Day; they want twice as much Pi | BBC (serious)
Proponents celebrate Tau Day; they want twice as much Pi | BBC (serious)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13906169

To-day is International Tau Day. It is June 28 (6.28), twice pi. Celebrate by eating twice as much pi. The link above includes an audio interview.

Tau is a maths constant, twice the value of pi. Pi is the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter. Tau has very ardent supporters who believe it should replace pi, as the ratio of the radius of a circle to its circumference (tau) is far more useful than pi. And that way you also get twice as much pi.

The angles of a circle are usually easier to compute using the ratio tau, as the various maths involving circles are usually applied to their radii, not the diameter. The functions of angular measurement using radians are particularly easier.

A citation from the full article at the above link:

Tau proponents say that for many problems in maths, tau makes more sense and makes calculations easier.

Not all fans of maths agree, however, and pi's rich history means it will be a difficult number to unseat.

"I like to describe myself as the world's leading anti-pi propagandist," said Michael Hartl, an educator and former theoretical physicist.

"When I say pi is wrong, it doesn't have any flaws in its definition - it is what you think it is, a ratio of circumference to diameter. But circles are not about diameters, they're about radii; circles are the set of all the points a given distance - a radius - from the centre," Dr Hartl explained to BBC News.

By defining pi in terms of diameter, he said, "what you're really doing is defining it as the ratio of the circumference to twice the radius, and that factor of two haunts you throughout mathematics."

"What's amazing is the 'conversion experience': people find themselves almost violently angry at pi. They feel like they've been lied to their whole lives, so it's amazing how many people express their displeasure with pi in the strongest possible terms - often involving profanity.

"I don't condone any actual violence - that would be really bizarre, wouldn't it?"

The BBC has a form at the link above if you have had a”conversion experience” with tau, that you may send in commentary to be appended to the article. They also wish to know if you are celebrating Tau Day.

James.

"Without death, life is meaningless. It is a story that can never be told. A song that can never be sung. For how would one finish it?"—Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter, Seth Grahame-Smith

"Be ye not lost amongst Precept of Order." - Book of Uterus, 1:5, "Principia Discordia, or How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her."
RE: Proponents celebrate Tau Day; they want twice as much Pi | BBC (serious)
MMMM pi

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(June 28, 2011 at 2:30 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: MMMM pi

My wife (who goes by BethK here) is celebrating Tau Day by baking a two-crust pi. And pi "r" square gives you the area of a cherry pie. But as she points out, cornbread are square, pi are round.

Ah, my wife's cherry pi is done; I gotta go and have two slices (it is Tau Day).

"Be ye not lost amongst Precept of Order." - Book of Uterus, 1:5, "Principia Discordia, or How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her."
I actually find the mathematical consequences that Tau presents to be quite fascinating and beneficial. I am 100% behind the Tau movement.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Math Educations: who needs it, how much and when? Whateverist 49 13620 February 28, 2016 at 6:16 pm
Last Post: Chas