Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neanderthals interbred with non African populations
Neanderthals interbred with non African populations
Quote:Some of the human X chromosome originates from Neanderthals and is found exclusively in people outside Africa, according to an international team of researchers led by Damian Labuda of the Department of Pediatrics at the University of Montreal and the CHU Sainte-Justine Research Center. The research was published in the July issue of Molecular Biology and Evolution.

"This confirms recent findings suggesting that the two populations interbred," says Dr. Labuda. His team places the timing of such intimate contacts and/or family ties early on, probably at the crossroads of the Middle East.
REF: http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2...071411.php
RE: Neanderthals interbred with non African populations
But were their offspring fertile? Is that something we can find out?
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
(July 18, 2011 at 5:44 pm)HeyItsZeus Wrote: But were their offspring fertile? Is that something we can find out?

If they're genes are now mixed with ours, what do you think?
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
http://www.dhamurian.org.au/anthropology...thal1.html

Quote:Red hair may be the legacy of Neanderthal man. Oxford University scientists think the ginger gene, which is responsible for red hair, fair skin and freckles, could be up to 100,000 years old. They say their discovery points to the gene having originated in Neanderthal man, who lived in Europe for 260,000 years before the ancestors of modern man arrived from Africa about 40,000 years ago.

Not to mention...

Quote:The Neanderthals are generally thought to have been a less intelligent species than modern man, Homo sapiens. ....they had a basic, guttural vocabulary of about 70 words, probably at the level of today's two-year-old, and they never developed a full language, art or culture.

Sounds like the average republican!
(July 18, 2011 at 5:58 pm)orogenicman Wrote:
(July 18, 2011 at 5:44 pm)HeyItsZeus Wrote: But were their offspring fertile? Is that something we can find out?

If they're genes are now mixed with ours, what do you think?

Lol, I didn't actually read the thing. I don't read things longer than 25 words . I assumed that there was evidence they had sex but that's me for you. I talk like I actually know something but in reality I know nothing. Tongue
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Why is this a big deal? Nothing major in the current conception of human evolution seem to depend on whether Neaderthals and humans ever interbred.
(July 18, 2011 at 6:37 pm)Chuck Wrote: Why is this a big deal? Nothing major in the current conception of human evolution seem to depend on whether Neaderthals and humans ever interbred.

Its a big deal because for years the Out of Africa crowd has insisted that HNS was an evolutionary dead end and that there was no interbreeding between the two.
(July 18, 2011 at 6:43 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
(July 18, 2011 at 6:37 pm)Chuck Wrote: Why is this a big deal? Nothing major in the current conception of human evolution seem to depend on whether Neaderthals and humans ever interbred.

Its a big deal because for years the Out of Africa crowd has insisted that HNS was an evolutionary dead end and that there was no interbreeding between the two.

OOA doesn't depend on HNS being a dead end. It only depends on a small group of what is already HSS, or something so near as to make no different, coming out of africa being responsible for majority of the genetic heritage of all modern HSS outside of Africa. It hardly mattered if the african HSS picked up sea slug genes on the way to jeruselum so long as they didn't pick up a lot of it.

OOA said most of what makes HSS came from Africa, that's it.

If we didn't pick up any genes from outside Africa, that would be sufficient evidence to prove OOA. But that is not necessary evidence to prove OOA.

I've known that since I saw my first game of professional Aussie rules football. (they obviously reached Europe) The impression was doubly reinforced seeing American gridiron (sorry,can't bring myself to call it 'football')

Participants in both activities seem to be at least 50% Neanderthal.EG one eyebrow,no neck,no jaw,knuckles dragging on the ground,IQ of a cactus and personality of an orangutang in a bad mood.The smell doesn't bear thinking about.

Devil
(July 18, 2011 at 7:16 pm)padraic Wrote: I've known that since I saw my first game of professional Aussie rules football. The impression was doubly reinforced seeing American gridiron (sorry,can't bring myself to call it 'football')

Participants in both activities seem to be at least 50% Neanderthal.EG one eyebrow,no neck,no jaw,knuckles dragging on the ground,IQ of a cactus and personality of an orangutang in a bad mood.The smell doesn't bear thinking about.

Devil

Beetle browed and receeding chined, maybe, but Neanderthals are cleanly, diligent, erect creatures, much more evolved than ball players and much more articulate than creationists.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Non-binary Foxaèr 129 6913 July 1, 2021 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Damned Neanderthals Minimalist 3 897 January 8, 2016 at 7:24 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Non Traditional Medicine polar bear 41 8417 March 21, 2015 at 9:15 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  origin of life(pushing non anthropocintricism to the limit minos 11 4145 November 14, 2012 at 5:53 pm
Last Post: Welsh cake
  Neanderthals are us– More evidence Justtristo 0 1305 August 29, 2011 at 10:34 am
Last Post: Justtristo
  Placebo, Nocebo, Faith, Non-faith...It's all in the Genes?? KichigaiNeko 0 1213 May 27, 2011 at 2:19 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko