Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ubunto Helpline
Ubunto Helpline
I've just installed Ubunto and have experienced that feeling of staring at a strange screen not quite knowing what to do next.

So, first question.. How do I gain access to the display settings as at the moment I have a nice large widescreen monitor with a little tiny box in the middle which contains this OS.

There will be many more questions but for now, this will do Undecided

[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
RE: Ubunto Helpline
Damned if I can remember!
However, you can alter the appearance of the windows using the menus that drop down from the top of the screen: System/Preferences/Appearance.
Screen resolution and refresh rate is at: System/Preferences/|Monitors.
The first thing to do though is to maximise the browser window; it should always open the same as it was when closed.
[Image: BlogSig.png][Image: sigimage.php?un=DaveD&t=182116&c1=7f5217...&c4=7f5217]
Thanks..

Now the stupid thing insists on using my second monitor that I hardly ever use as it's default, no matter that I tell it to use the main monitor. And then, if I disable the second monitor it still insists that I use it to log in and then switches to the main one.

Might be switching back to Win7 in a minute....
I've only got the one monitor, so this is pure guesswork.
In the monitor preferences window, there's a tickbox for "Show monitors in panel". Maybe that does something useful!
[Image: BlogSig.png][Image: sigimage.php?un=DaveD&t=182116&c1=7f5217...&c4=7f5217]
I think I've got it now.. At least for the time being. I'm expecting trouble when I try to bring the other monitor into play Dodgy
As this is linux do I need a firewall/virus system?

Also, do I have to download all my software through this Software Centre or can I just find it and download it from a website?
And how do I get a command line up so I can follow all these instructions from the internet?
It's called the Terminal Dar. Most stuff is already in the software centre tweaked for your o/s. You're best to search there anyway, but you can install stuff off the interwebs too.

You need protection to protect other machines on your LAN mostly. I never bothered with AV.

I'm getting there.. I've installed some files to get the media player working and have just installed FileZilla which I was glad to find..

Now, is there anyway I can store all these programmes in some sort of start menu or taskbar. At the moment I can't even seem to put them on folders or even on the desktop Undecided
(August 4, 2011 at 4:51 pm)Darwinian Wrote: I'm getting there.. I've installed some files to get the media player working and have just installed FileZilla which I was glad to find..

Now, is there anyway I can store all these programmes in some sort of start menu or taskbar. At the moment I can't even seem to put them on folders or even on the desktop Undecided

Essentially, the Start Menu is at the top of the screen unless you're using Ubuntu 11, which has a dock. There is a selection of docks for earlier Ubuntu versions in the Software Centre - I use Cairo Dock with Ubuntu 10.10.
[Image: Screenshot-19.png]
Firstly, it's "Ubuntu" not "Ubunto". You should probably get that right if you are going to contact support at the Ubuntu forums!

Secondly, contact the support at the Ubuntu Forums: http://ubuntuforums.org

Ubuntu is made for people who have no ideas about Linux to get into it in a safe and secure way. Hence, the forums are some of the best around for asking "n00bish" questions that others might scoff at. Try asking some of your queries in the "absolute beginner talk", and make it clear that you don't really know how to use the Terminal or anything like that. Hopefully you'll get some nice people who will walk you through it all.

I'd also suggest connecting to the IRC server if you can, as you can talk to people there in realtime.
@Darwinian

I have Linux Mint on my backup PC,very similar to Ubuntu. Idiot simple to use,but there is a learning period; it's a mindset,just as is windows..

THE GOOD NEWS:There is a LOT of help on line with Forums and (free) manuals.

Try:

FORUMS

http://ubuntuforums.org/

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/

UBUNTU MANUAL

http://lifehacker.com/5529642/free-getti...ux-rookies